Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone replace the water used by the Trident with mixed saltwater? I have a Dos head that's un-used and I'm running the 6/3/3 schedule which is about 84ml per day. Over time it would seem between that and ATO I'd see a drop in salinity. Thinking about putting some fresh mixed water in and dosing the 84ml over the course of the day right after tests are done.

I tried searching for discussions on this, but couldn't find one.

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it all depends on your tank size and how often you’re changing water. If your tank is over 100 gallons I doubt you’d see any kind of drop if your doing frequent water changes. If you’re under 50 gallons I would monitor your salinity and see if it’s worth setting up the Dos. Under 50 gallons I would definitely add saltwater back

ariellemermaid

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone replace the water used by the Trident with mixed saltwater? I have a Dos head that's un-used and I'm running the 6/3/3 schedule which is about 84ml per day. Over time it would seem between that and ATO I'd see a drop in salinity. Thinking about putting some fresh mixed water in and dosing the 84ml over the course of the day right after tests are done.

I tried searching for discussions on this, but couldn't find one.
I’ve been running a 20g with the Trident for about a year. Despite the small volume of the tank I haven’t noticed any significant issues with salinity. I do twice weekly water changes, and I do 3/2 testing. .

Doing some math we can answer your question. We’ll assume 85ml/day * 30 days divided by your total volume in ml = % of water being replaced with DI. For a 20g this comes out to 3% and 3% of 35ppt is 1ppt/month. In my case it’s more like 0.8ppt since I do less testing. I guess I’ve just never noticed that because of the twice weekly water changes meaning the most change I would see at a time would be half of that.

OP
OP
fdevans

fdevans

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it all depends on your tank size and how often you’re changing water. If your tank is over 100 gallons I doubt you’d see any kind of drop if your doing frequent water changes. If you’re under 50 gallons I would monitor your salinity and see if it’s worth setting up the Dos. Under 50 gallons I would definitely add saltwater back

Ha... well I'm right in the middle with a 75 gallon tank+sump capacity (after subtracting rocks, etc.). I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and see if I'm noticing changes.
I’ve been running a 20g with the Trident for about a year. Despite the small volume of the tank I haven’t noticed any significant issues with salinity. I do twice weekly water changes, and I do 3/2 testing. .

Doing some math we can answer your question. We’ll assume 85ml/day * 30 days divided by your total volume in ml = % of water being replaced with DI. For a 20g this comes out to 3% and 3% of 35ppt is 1ppt/month. In my case it’s more like 0.8ppt since I do less testing. I guess I’ve just never noticed that because of the twice weekly water changes meaning the most change I would see at a time would be half of that.
Thank you! I'll add this to some calculations sheets I've started. This will help give me a sense of impact. I've been holding off water changes slightly as my nutrients were a bit too low for a period of time and ran the risk of dinos.

Nutramar Foods

ColoredRock

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...84ml per day.
Your trident is taking roughly 2 shot glasses a day :) I guess roughly .6 of a gallon a month (not doing the math) so someone correct me if I am way off base.

If you dont do any water changes, might want to look into a bit more.

AS
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Kessil
Back