Replacing filter sock with floss. Anybody using floss? What kind of floss?

Val Shebeko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I change the socks every 3 days or so. Because they get dirty and because I’ve been told the stuff caught in the sock dirties the water.

Looking on Amazon all I see under floss are filter mats and I thought floss was, well floss.

Thank you.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one nano where I use the poly fill that is used to stuff pillows or stuffed animals which I buy at Walmart.
I also have a 125g tank where I buy filter pads on Amazon and cut them to fit my 3d printed holder. I actually wanted to use socks on the 125 but due to some poor diy sump planning I don’t have an easy way to add them.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a cup

Put all the socks in storage

And bought some Reef Diapers. They are not at all like Diapers, more like coffee filters

That's one day of muck
1000003472.jpg

OP
OP
Val Shebeko

Val Shebeko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one nano where I use the poly fill that is used to stuff pillows or stuffed animals which I buy at Walmart.
I also have a 125g tank where I buy filter pads on Amazon and cut them to fit my 3d printed holder. I actually wanted to use socks on the 125 but due to some poor diy sump planning I don’t have an easy way to add them.
What kind of filter pads, can you post a link? How often do you change them?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you use, how often do you replace it?
I don’t actually use it anymore as I upgraded to a reef mat, but when I did it was just about as often as I was changing socks so every 3 days. The point is not that the floss can last longer, but rather it is easier to replace the disposable floss than it is to clean socks constantly.

kingranch2003

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use pura filter pads. It comes in several different sized sheets, and I just cut it to fit my over flow compartment. It contains GAC and GFO placed within the pad. It keeps my water clear and clean, and doesn't clog too quickly. It isn't the cheapest option, so it is best for places where you don't have a large surface area.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back