Removing coralline algae from black overflow panels?

BRS

MiamiAG

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8C6DBCB8-0AA0-4CDA-B317-7DDEEC956B11.jpeg
Hi all - I prefer a clean look to the tank walls and prefer coralline only on the rock. Maintaining clean glass is relatively easy with a good scraper. However, the black panel of my AIO is much more susceptible to scratching if I take a razor blade to it.

Any bright ideas out there that are effective for this purpose without risking scratches to the black plastic?

While I recognize that elbow grease is part of the answer, it isn’t the only answer. You can be the most disciplined at maintenance but sooner or later you will go on vacation or be away from the tank for a week or more. Coralline algae will know this and jump at the opportunity. When you get back, it will no longer be easy to remove with a plastic scraper.

Thanks in advance.

Art

Corals.com

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 2798551 Hi all - I prefer a clean look to the tank walls and prefer coralline only on the rock. Maintaining clean glass is relatively easy with a good scraper. However, the black panel of my AIO is much more susceptible to scratching if I take a razor blade to it.

Any bright ideas out there that are effective for this purpose without risking scratches to the black plastic?

While I recognize that elbow grease is part of the answer, it isn’t the only answer. You can be the most disciplined at maintenance but sooner or later you will go on vacation or be away from the tank for a week or more. Coralline algae will know this and jump at the opportunity. When you get back, it will no longer be easy to remove with a plastic scraper.

Thanks in advance.

Art
Get a Tuxedo urchin! Although I love coralline algae on my back wall, my Tuxedo urchin spend more time there eating the coralline algae off than it spend on the rocks.

Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back