Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a power head crack and I didn’t catch it until I stopped using carbon for a bit. Lost some corals and have had a hard time getting any sps (and some LPS) to grow. I noticed recently that many of my inverts died as well (specifically snails, still have some hermits and my shrimp)

Fast forward I’m running carbon and had an ICP test done. Copper read 5.89ug/l in a 120g tank.

Is that a high enough copper reading to do the damage described above? I’m not sure what’s considered high or deadly.

I got a cupsorb bag to run alongside the carbon. If I read the instructions right, it should be able to strip far more than the 5ugl I have. Any idea how long it might take? I don’t have a copper test kit available.

Avast
OP
OP
Protodad

Protodad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By any chance, did you treat for disease using copper directly in the display?

I don't know that copper levels that high can come from a damaged power head.

Nope. At worst it could have been a fish treated with copper from my LFS but I always acclimate and never put any of the water back into the DT. And the last one was months prior.

No idea how long the crack was there but likely at least a month as the wet side kept falling off.

1679158585621.png

The only thing I’ve ever treated the tank with was chemiclean (once)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what that measurement would be in ppm but cuprisorb and poly pads will both be an assist in pulling the metals out.

I would be searching the entire system for another metal contaminant. Worn out pump sleeve, hose clamp, something..

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. At worst it could have been a fish treated with copper from my LFS but I always acclimate and never put any of the water back into the DT. And the last one was months prior.

No idea how long the crack was there but likely at least a month as the wet side kept falling off.

Hmmm... yeah, I'm more inclined to think that you would see symptoms of stray voltage in the tank with damaged equipment like that.

Are you using RODI water or tap with conditioner? I'm wondering if the copper s coming from your water source.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the EPA website. It said:

"The US Environmental Protection Agency action level for copper in drinking water is 1,300 ppb (also reported as “1300 μg/L”, “1.3 ppm”, or “1.3 mg/L”)."

You're at 5.89. Honestly, I don't see how this can be attributed to exposed copper wire.

I'd suggest having your TAP water checked.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Protodad

Protodad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the suggestions. I use a 7 stage RODI system and reads 0ppm at stage 6. I also had it checked by the ICP test and it came back with zeros across the board.

As for stray voltage, it’s a MP10 so the wet side doesn’t have any electronics, just the magnet (which is where the body cracked in that photo).

I also took my entire sump apart and cleaned it and my other power head. No other damaged equipment that I could find. Right now it’s only the return pump and two heaters in the sump for electronics. Not running a protein skimmer currently and the reactors are run off the manifold.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think that copper level is necessarily a problem. I had 11-15 ppb at one point without any issues, but icp concentrations tell only a part of the tox equation (chemical form is another).

If the level is accurate, which it may not be, a polyfilter or cuprisorb or metasorb may lower it.

AS
OP
OP
Protodad

Protodad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think that copper level is necessarily a problem. I had 11-15 ppb at one point without any issues, but icp concentrations tell only a part of the tox equation (chemical form is another).

If the level is accurate, which it may not be, a polyfilter or cuprisorb or metasorb may lower it.
Thanks. Any idea how long it should take? Without an accurate way of measuring I’m just trying to figure out how soon I can add inverts and corals back in.

330Bob

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a power head crack and I didn’t catch it until I stopped using carbon for a bit. Lost some corals and have had a hard time getting any sps (and some LPS) to grow. I noticed recently that many of my inverts died as well (specifically snails, still have some hermits and my shrimp)

Fast forward I’m running carbon and had an ICP test done. Copper read 5.89ug/l in a 120g tank.

Is that a high enough copper reading to do the damage described above? I’m not sure what’s considered high or deadly.

I got a cupsorb bag to run alongside the carbon. If I read the instructions right, it should be able to strip far more than the 5ugl I have. Any idea how long it might take? I don’t have a copper test kit available.
I had my 330 coppered bad move. I used carbon, threw out all my sand, ran cuprasorb, replaced all the salt water to RO for months. I think at 9months to a year I could finally put snails in and they lived vs dying. I was told by many "Once coppered" no more inverts ever. That is not quite true but I can see why they say it. It took some effort to get it out.

AquaCave Logo Banner
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back