Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, 24 gallon tank is running for ~5 months and I just, last week, removed ~70% of the DT LR and introduced equal amount of dead rock as a new aquascape. Sand are coarse aragonite sand. I figured the two large rock along with the coarse sand would do the trick in providing the needed bacteria and sustain the tank while the new rocks get colonized.

Post rock removal - I just tested .20 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 11 nitrates, and .50 phosphates.

Pre-rock removal - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 50+ nitrates, NA phosphates

All tests were done using HANNA and RedSea Foundation Pro.

Rock to the right is new. Rock to the left is established old LR.

Suggested solution: introduce PRIME conditioner and, possibly, Seachem Pristine or API Quickstart (to add more bacteria)??? (Running to the store in an hr so a quick response would be very appreciated...
20230221_141840.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish/inverts are still alive stop panicking, your ammonia test could be wrong as they are not the best, with live stock still being alive would be the better tell that ammonia is not as high as you think.

If my tank I would do a water change if I had some salt water already made up and been sitting for a couple of days as new salt water can have some ammonia or add some Fritz turbo start.

With sand and the rock you have left, should still have enough bacteria.

Treat this as a lesson, go slow.

OP
OP
xiongsy

xiongsy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish/inverts are still alive stop panicking, your ammonia test could be wrong as they are not the best, with live stock still being alive would be the better tell that ammonia is not as high as you think.

If my tank I would do a water change if I had some salt water already made up and been sitting for a couple of days as new salt water can have some ammonia or add some Fritz turbo start.

With sand and the rock you have left, should still have enough bacteria.

Treat this as a lesson, go slow.
Thanks!

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Hanna
Back