Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a yellow regal angel for about a month. From the first day, he was a terrific eater. The menu for the tank includes mysis, angelfish diet, plankton, nori, and clams on the half shell. Suddenly, three days ago, he stopped eating. He swims normally. There is no harassment. He has no spots or heavy breathing, just won't eat. All of the other fish, butterflies and wrasses, are all acting normal. Last night, I did a water change, hoping that may stimulate him. This is a FOWLR tank that has been set up for two years. I have another tank with macro, sponges and gorgs that I could put him. Any suggestions?

LaloJ

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that sometimes angelfishes can stop eating abruptly and after a few days they just go back to normal, changing the water should help, have you noticed any kind of bloating in their stomach, or anything unusual in that area? Has the fish defecated normally?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a yellow regal angel for about a month. From the first day, he was a terrific eater. The menu for the tank includes mysis, angelfish diet, plankton, nori, and clams on the half shell. Suddenly, three days ago, he stopped eating. He swims normally. There is no harassment. He has no spots or heavy breathing, just won't eat. All of the other fish, butterflies and wrasses, are all acting normal. Last night, I did a water change, hoping that may stimulate him. This is a FOWLR tank that has been set up for two years. I have another tank with macro, sponges and gorgs that I could put him. Any suggestions?
If you can, move a couple sponges from your other tank into this tank and see if she feasts on them. Mine nips at sponges all over my tank (She doesn’t completely devour them but leaves enough to keep a growing ‘farm’ of sponges).

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
dennis romano

dennis romano

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, move a couple sponges from your other tank into this tank and see if she feasts on them. Mine nips at sponges all over my tank (She doesn’t completely devour them but leaves enough to keep a growing ‘farm’ of sponges).
I'll give that a try.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nine butterflies, three small wrasse and a marine betta. The butterflies are eating machines.
If he is feeling threatened at all they will stop eating. I have had one in the past, and I just rehomed a wrasse, I have one more to re-home and I will put a Regal back in. Good luck try the sponge but you might need to move him

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no bloating, but the fish has definitely lost weight around the forehead. I haven't seen it defecate in days.
That shouldn’t be all that noticeable after just three days without eating. My guess is that there is an underlying issue. Perhaps try treating for internal parasites.

However, is not completely out of character. Most of my angels, butterflies, idols etc has at one point or a other refused food for no reason at all for up to a week.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
dennis romano

dennis romano

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, off topic, but I would like to know what are your secrets to keep all your butterflies happy, what species do you have?
Coradion, C. auriga,C. mistratus, C. xanthocephalus, long nose atlantic, C.raflessi, tahitian,parachaetodon and copperband. They get fed a variety of food, mysis, brine shrimp, angel diet, nori and clam on the half shell. I will not buy a fish under two inches or over four inches. Under two, if they don't eat well, they do not have the body fat. Over four is an older fish that usually won't take aquarium food.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pacific East
Back