Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Im thinking of setting up my first reef tank soon but I had two questions about refugiums. First of all, how big of a refugium would I need on a 45 gallon tank? And secondly, I see some people keeping fish in a refugium, what is the benefit to that? Thanks!

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
C

Coach Car

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this refugium be a part of a sump? Separate from or hang on back?
Honestly not sure what I'm doing. I think it would be a sump? (I'm planning to spend the entire day researching this haha). The tank I'm maybe buying is an E-170.

Last edited:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are buying new I would suggest going with the reefer 170 over the max, just because the back chambers are annoying and the e170 doesnt come with a sump while the reefer does. The reefer also lets you choose the led lighting as the red sea reef led does not get good reviews

AquaCave Logo Banner

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Does anyone have and information on why one would keep fish in a refugium? Thanks!
Probably the person wanted to have a fish that wouldnt do well in the current display tank such as an extra pair of clownfish or something non reef safe. For such a small tank you will have an equally small refugium and shouldnt put a fish in it, but will depend on if you make a remote refugium as well. A remote fuge is pretty much a stand alone tank that is connected to the display system but has its own stand

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally take a step back and ask why do you want one and what do you think it will do for you. Then go from there.

Refugium means different things to different hobbyist. Also they are not mandatory. They are sometimes a isolated unit overflowing into the sump while others are a chamber in the sump itself. Some use the refugium for nutrient export like growing chaeto or other macro algae while others use it in the more traditional or true form of "refuge". A place that the micro fauna can populate and thrive without predation. In sump compartments can be used to store more rock for additional biological surface area. What is it you are wanting to do?

As to why people put fish in there. I don't know nor can speak for everyone but in my case the way I have mine setup is such that I can take it off line and have it be a self running unit. This way I can use it for an observation area if a fish is being bullied or is small or not eating or needs a place to grow (I buy a lot of captive bred / raised fish so this works wonders). But again for me a refugium is a place of refuge. It is also a place for time outs if a fish is being aggressive to a new arrival. I also keep a little bit of macro algae in there to feed my rabbit fish but it is not a area for nutrient export. I have a matted filefish and radial filefish in mine at the moment. One to clear aiptasia and the other to mature. I had an azure damsel in there for a bit as it was a bit over aggressive defending his/her sleeping area with some new fish. Few weeks later back in the display and peace is back.

I think it really comes down to why you want one and for what use case.

RedoubtReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Does anyone have and information on why one would keep fish in a refugium? Thanks!
They may have been using it to house a problem fish or a fish that was being picked on. Usually its just algae, rock/sand, bugs, worms etc in the fuge.
The purpose of the refugium is generally to provide a place grow competing algae and/or provide a space for critters, like pods, to reproduce without predation. This helps maintain their populations in your display tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Kenneth Wingerter

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, you won't keep fish in there because (as others here have already pointed out) they decimate 'mother colonies' of small pods and other live food sources that refugia are designed to shelter. But there are lots of fish that might be kept in a refugium (particularly those that won't eat pods and such). https://www.algaebarn.com/blog/refugiums/5-fish-for-the-refugium/

If you navigate around the AlgaeBarn blog, you'll find tons of info on refugia as that is one of their specialties. ;)

RedoubtReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, you won't keep fish in there because (as others here have already pointed out) they decimate 'mother colonies' of small pods and other live food sources that refugia are designed to shelter. But there are lots of fish that might be kept in a refugium (particularly those that won't eat pods and such). https://www.algaebarn.com/blog/refugiums/5-fish-for-the-refugium/

If you navigate around the AlgaeBarn blog, you'll find tons of info on refugia as that is one of their specialties. ;)
Good article! This has got me thinking about adding a Rooster Waspfish to my fuge at some point:thinking-face:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pirates Reef Corals
Back