Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to pick between 2 Viparspectra grow lights for my refugium.

I prefer (MeanWell PS and dimmer)

VIPARSPECTRA XS1000 LED Grow Light with Samsung LM301B Diodes & MeanWell Driver, Dimming Daisy Chain Full Spectrum Grow Lights for Indoor Plants Veg Bloom Growing Lamps​

555.jpg

But I wonder whether the more 'pink' spectrum is preferable?

551.jpg

Any experience with theses lights? Thx

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner

afrokobe

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It 16H x 24L x 16W. (26 gallons) That's the nice part about the dimmer on the first light. There wattage I believe is an incandescent equivalent so cut in about half.
I think either would be fine in terms of power. I would just be really careful with the first one. I dont think the panel is finished and all the leds are exposed.

i've seen people recommend these:
or

You could add multiples if it is not enough light for 1

OP
OP
B

BigMax

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think either would be fine in terms of power. I would just be really careful with the first one. I dont think the panel is finished and all the leds are exposed.

or

Thanks for the response. I asked the question on the light, I'll see what they say. But, to your point if the circuit board is exposed that's not an acceptable solution.

Coral Loggers

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

or

I have used the acke in a diy scrubber. It actually worked and grew hair algae great in the scrubber. Not so good for my cheato tho. It died. Maybe a couple of them together with good water flow?

World Wide Corals

afrokobe

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the acke in a diy scrubber. It actually worked and grew hair algae great in the scrubber. Not so good for my cheato tho. It died. Maybe a couple of them together with good water flow?
could be, but I run the same light over my fuge and I am getting good chaeto growth. Its a small sump, so unless your scrubber is unusually large, I'd imagine it is enough light. I think chaeto is just finicky. Some people have no issues growing it and others have issues.

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

or

I use the 2nd one, $29.99 for 4 years now, replacing once.
It sits within 4 inches of the water

Attachments

• Resizer_16157721117341.jpg
    Resizer_16157721117341.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 24
World Wide Corals
OP
OP
B

BigMax

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While more expensive, I’ve been running a freshwater Blade over my chaeto for almost a month. It is growing like crazy and can sit right in the sump for very little spill.

View attachment 3043448

I see they make a refugium version as well. I assume you went with the freshwater light for more power (wattage)?

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if a dimmer is needed on a fuge :thinking-face: I run two similar to the the ones shown from Amazon but they were $9 when I bought them. I used velcro to attach them to the sides and have an led grow light in a socket hanging so chaeto is lit on three sides (mine doesn't tumble) less than $50 total and chaeto grows like crazy. Have probably been running them for 5 or 6 years. 20230228_180929.jpg

rtparty

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see they make a refugium version as well. I assume you went with the freshwater light for more power (wattage)?

I don’t care for the pink glow and the fuge version wasn’t out when I ordered. So I got the FW version and it’s been great

Coral Loggers

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be, but I run the same light over my fuge and I am getting good chaeto growth. Its a small sump, so unless your scrubber is unusually large, I'd imagine it is enough light. I think chaeto is just finicky. Some people have no issues growing it and others have issues.
Well it worked with the scrubber no issue there. A tiny strand of cheato got caught in the scrubber and went from a strand to a base ball in a mere few weeks. So I changed to just that and it did not last long. Maybe not enough flow?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Deltec
Back