+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, everyone!

I'm looking for information on creating a refugium in the second chamber of my Fluval Evo 13.5. Has anyone done this? If so, did it make a difference in the nutrient levels in your tank? I'm worried that the refugium would be too small to make any noticeable difference. I'd appreciate any input or tips! Thanks!

AS

reef-rc

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, everyone!

I'm looking for information on creating a refugium in the second chamber of my Fluval Evo 13.5. Has anyone done this? If so, did it make a difference in the nutrient levels in your tank? I'm worried that the refugium would be too small to make any noticeable difference. I'd appreciate any input or tips! Thanks!

I would agree with your concern as to whether or not a refugium of this size would make any difference. For my part, I had an HOB refugium on the Evo13 early in the days when I started the tank and it did well. I enjoyed it. Eventually I took it down as it was more moving parts than necessary and some of the refugium pieces were finding it's way into the tank which i did not care for.

I also did a refugium reactor on the Fusion 20 and that too worked and was shortly taken down.

You can see the two refugium i mentioned below in their corresponding thread I have going.

Having said all that, I have found with a 20G or less reef, weekly regular water change schedule and a control feeding routine is much simpler, less moving parts and less maintenance than adding a refugium and the little benefits that may come with it.

btw - if you search, you will find many have used the back chamber for a refugium

Last edited:

StephDaReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running a refugium in the second chamber for about 2 years. Ive been running it so long that I can’t remember if it made a difference or not. Yes it does leave some chaeto pieces in your display from time to time but if you syphon your sand then it shouldn’t be a big deal. One big benefit, atleast for me, is that I have many copepods in my tank which is always a hood sign and feeds my fish and corals at times. :)

E420496F-74FF-4D9C-8F65-FB994AF95852.jpeg B93DEA04-48D9-4ED4-BF32-C941990DD31E.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

js_marra

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nuvo 10g and while although it is not an evo, it is still a small nano tank. I set up a refugium in the second chamber with bio media, chaeto, and pods and it has made a huge difference. I see pods all over my tank and rocks and the chaeto has taken off. I will say though that is has sucked all my nitrates out of my system, which may sound good, but I personally want some detectable nitrates in my system. The fuge brought my nitrates from 20 to 00 ppm in about two months. My tank is still stocked very lightly so I do think the fuge has given me a good excuse to add some bio load and get some more fish :). Overall, I do think they work, but you may actually want to be precautionary about it working too well vs. not at all...

OP
OP
nanoShearer

nanoShearer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, everyone for your advice! I'm thinking I'll try the refugium in the second chamber, and if that doesn't make a noticeable difference, I'll upgrade to a HOB refugium. I'm hoping to cut back on the number of water changes I need to do. Any suggestions on what light I should use?

Mkus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely will help I added one to my 24 JBJ with a real cheap plat growing led on the back of the tank I have very little algae on my glass and tons of coralline growth!

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
nanoShearer

nanoShearer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely will help I added one to my 24 JBJ with a real cheap plat growing led on the back of the tank I have very little algae on my glass and tons of coralline growth!
That sounds awesome! I'm so excited to get this going! Thanks for the information. Also, your tank is gorgeous! I love those mushrooms!

Mkus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks my tank started off as a 14gal biocube then I added truluman leds which I moved two years ago to my new JBJ 24.
Added a refugium over a year ago made a huge difference just add a little more food if you not keeping SPS .
The Led for fuge are on eBay cheap and they work great I just used some Velcro tape to fasten it.
I love my red Bali mini carpet anemones they split all the time when fed regularly

Mkus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by asking how your parameters are doing with regards to nutrients. I have never needed one personally and with a higher output pump (Cobalt MJ1200) my water level in the middle isn't high enough. Let me know how it goes!
If your keeping LPS with a fuge you will use them up I just add a little extra food I do not have SPS in my tank

162D3840-F9C8-4410-92A8-653B60BB5D97.jpeg

Maxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running a refugium in the second chamber for about 2 years. Ive been running it so long that I can’t remember if it made a difference or not. Yes it does leave some chaeto pieces in your display from time to time but if you syphon your sand then it shouldn’t be a big deal. One big benefit, atleast for me, is that I have many copepods in my tank which is always a hood sign and feeds my fish and corals at times. :)

View attachment 1374785 View attachment 1374786

@StephDaReefer
What light is this?

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
nanoShearer

nanoShearer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by asking how your parameters are doing with regards to nutrients. I have never needed one personally and with a higher output pump (Cobalt MJ1200) my water level in the middle isn't high enough. Let me know how it goes!
My nitrate levels are almost always high. Even with frequent water changes (which I don't always have the time to do) they are rarely below 10 ppm. I'm planning to improve the flow and filtration in addition to adding a fuge. I'm hoping that all of those changes will help with the parameters. The back chambers on this tank seem to be a nitrate factory. :(

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back