Refractometer Question

NorCalReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 3 separate tools to measure salinity. A Red Sea refractometer that I keep having to calibrate, and 2 different swing arms that I’ve had forever.

I recently went ahead and recalibrated the Red Sea with some solution I purchased on Amazon (continuum reagents at 1.026). Unfortunately, my tank now keeps measuring around 1.029/30 using the Red Sea… the swing arms have read between 1.023/24. So here’s my question, what should I trust?

Also, does anyone else seem to have issues with their RedSea refractometer? Seems like it’s constantly needing to be recalibrated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 3 separate tools to measure salinity. A Red Sea refractometer that I keep having to calibrate, and 2 different swing arms that I’ve had forever.

I recently went ahead and recalibrated the Red Sea with some solution I purchased on Amazon (continuum reagents at 1.026). Unfortunately, my tank now keeps measuring around 1.029/30 using the Red Sea… the swing arms have read between 1.023/24. So here’s my question, what should I trust?

Also, does anyone else seem to have issues with their RedSea refractometer? Seems like it’s constantly needing to be recalibrated.

You can test all of them in diy fluids:

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem. I have the hanna salinity checker, swing arm and a kactoily. All say some thing different. With icp tests I have determined the hanna is .002 high swing arm is .001 high and kactoily is all over the place. Use icp to nail ot and figure out where yours sit

OP
OP
NorCalReefing

NorCalReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can test all of them in diy fluids:

Thanks Randy, this was very helpful! I made the solution with a teaspoon of salt and 161mL of water. It matched the calibration solution I purchased using the RedSea. My swing arm is measuring at 1.022.

Unfortunately, that means my tank is currently measuring around 1.028/29 at the moment. Going to slowly get it down to 1.026.

The good news is, everything is still looking good and no corals or fish are showing any issues at the higher salinity.

The Red Sea Refractometer appears to be accurate but seems to require calibration often.

Ef4life

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on refractometers and went to a glass hydrometer. They are very delicate so they might not be for everyone.

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this scale and Randy’s formula to make my own standard about six months ago.
It makes about 3.5 ounces of fluid and I have it in a little dropper bottle that I pull out every now and then to double check my refractometer. I still have 95% of it left. It lasts a loooong time.

Side note: I took the 100g weight that came with the scale to the state department of weights and measures to see how accurate it was and it was within .006g of being exactly 100g. Im sure each weight is slightly different but I just happened to be going there so I took it with me.
IMG_4320.jpeg

IMG_4321.jpeg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back