Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 16g biocube. Last week (Thursday) I did about a 15% water change. It was the first water change since adding livestock. I have (had) one oscellaris clown, one trochus snail, and a zoa frag. As I was performing my water change, all was well. About an hour after I finished, my clown went into hiding and wouldn’t eat. Fast forward to sunday night - I found it dead on the bottom of the tank. I had checked on it Sunday morning and it was still hiding but not dead. I assumed it was just stressed from the water change/tank cleaning. I have always been using a hydrometer, which shows my salinity is ideal. I ordered a refractometer Yesterday and had it overnight shipped and even after calibration I am getting a significantly different reading.
Aside from the salinity, all of my parameters are good/ideal. The snail and zoa frag are happy and healthy and are thriving well.
So my question is this - which device do you trust over the other: refractometer or hydrometer? Especially knowing that other livestock seem to be doing well. I’m truly not sure what happened to the clown to end up in death. It was very healthy and stress-free prior to me cleaning the tank.

224CDBF1-F95D-4C53-9E4E-E0FD6FB446CF.jpeg 7F547B6B-2817-4FBC-A071-641B977AD976.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Agree on calibration and many use RO in which I am in Disagreement. Get fluid for calibration, OR take the refractometer to LFS and ask them to calibrate/test the unit

Top Shelf Aquatics

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use both, cross check.

DDenny

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the DIY Calibration fluid really easy to do. Mine was reading at 40ppt calibrated with distilled water like the instructions said.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use both, cross check.

Buy this and a 500ml measuring cylinder, your salinity will be perfect, just make sure the water is 25c when you test it.

Top Shelf Aquatics

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very accurate salinity is NOT NEEDED. Sea animals live in a broad range of salinity. Aim for about 35 ppt, a few ppt to either side DOES NOT MATTER.
Refractometer calibrate with RO water is FINE, even with tap water is fine. Minor error introduced by temperature is fine.

Spend all the time and money to get the most acculturate salinity is useless and is a wast of time and money.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very accurate salinity is NOT NEEDED. Sea animals live in a broad range of salinity. Aim for about 35 ppt, a few ppt to either side DOES NOT MATTER.
Refractometer calibrate with RO water is FINE, even with tap water is fine. Minor error introduced by temperature is fine.

Spend all the time and money to get the most acculturate salinity is useless and is a wast of time and money.

Probably not the best thread to put forward that argument when it looks like the fish died because salinity was off.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use both, cross check.
If you can't get this, you can also try one of those mini glass hydrometers off of Amazon. I have both the Tropic Marin and Amazon cheapo version, and I've found that the ripoff tracks fairly closely with the Tropic Marin model.

Also: did you ensure that the refractometer was for salinity and not alcohol? I bought (and used) the one meant for alcohol.

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 16g biocube. Last week (Thursday) I did about a 15% water change. It was the first water change since adding livestock. I have (had) one oscellaris clown, one trochus snail, and a zoa frag. As I was performing my water change, all was well. About an hour after I finished, my clown went into hiding and wouldn’t eat. Fast forward to sunday night - I found it dead on the bottom of the tank. I had checked on it Sunday morning and it was still hiding but not dead. I assumed it was just stressed from the water change/tank cleaning. I have always been using a hydrometer, which shows my salinity is ideal. I ordered a refractometer Yesterday and had it overnight shipped and even after calibration I am getting a significantly different reading.
Aside from the salinity, all of my parameters are good/ideal. The snail and zoa frag are happy and healthy and are thriving well.
So my question is this - which device do you trust over the other: refractometer or hydrometer? Especially knowing that other livestock seem to be doing well. I’m truly not sure what happened to the clown to end up in death. It was very healthy and stress-free prior to me cleaning the tank.

View attachment 2105043 View attachment 2105044

If you can't get this, you can also try one of those mini glass hydrometers off of Amazon. I have both the Tropic Marin and Amazon cheapo version, and I've found that the ripoff tracks fairly closely with the Tropic Marin model.

Also: did you ensure that the refractometer was for salinity and not alcohol? I bought (and used) the one meant for alcohol.
David is correct. I think the refractometer you have above is not one that is used for salt water. You need a refractometer that is for salt water, sturdy, and the calibration screw does not come loose easy or accidentally.

As is I just use the IO arm hydrometer, but this is very inconsistent, and not accurate. Still, it is enough, just take care to rinse it well between use so that salt does not build up in the joint thus cause friction and air bubble does not attach to the arm.

I do not think your fish died from salinity, unless you try to change the salinity quickly. As long as the salinity change slowly, fish have been show to live long term down to a salinity of 9ppt (in hyposalinity treatment) and up to 42+ ppt. (I got fish from reef store with salinity of 42ppt when I check )

This is only regarding fish, Inverts is another mater entirely.

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some might disagree, but when doing water changes, all you want is the new water to match the tank salinity, generally.
If the new water is close to tank temp, an uncalibrated salinity match will do.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
A

alicel

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alice, I have used both and go with the refractometer as long as it is accurately calibrated.
I only calibrated using RO water so I'm going to make sure that it's accurately calibrated and stick with that moving forward. I worked at LFS for years, which closed down about two years ago, and we always used refractometers there for the accuracy.

OP
OP
A

alicel

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I checked with tap water once and triple checked with RO. Also triple checked the water in my tank and checked the mixed up salt water I have in a 5gal bucket. I'm going to look into a calibration fluid

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back