Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys. So here is my thoughts and I’m sure others have tried this as it’s a very simple idea. I have one light, made for the rectangular shape of my tank. A kessil ap9x. It is going to be a mixed reef. However, I am very quickly with my very first stick learning that my problem is not par, but shadowing. If I build a canopy to put on the top of my tank and line it with a reflective material, should this sufficiently help with my shadowing?
My tank is 48 x 24 x 24

theatrus

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys. So here is my thoughts and I’m sure others have tried this as it’s a very simple idea. I have one light, made for the rectangular shape of my tank. A kessil ap9x. It is going to be a mixed reef. However, I am very quickly with my very first stick learning that my problem is not par, but shadowing. If I build a canopy to put on the top of my tank and line it with a reflective material, should this sufficiently help with my shadowing?
My tank is 48 x 24 x 24

From experience, you may gain at most 5% in some spots. Your intuition is right on, but its not capturing the stray light already bouncing off the water, etc, but simply the already focused energy from the LED.
Putting on a diffuser of some kind will be much more beneficial than getting out the white paint or mylar foil. Your total light loss will be higher, but with less of a hot spot. Some satin acrylics are a good choice here.

OP
OP
L

leon.1980

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From experience, you may gain at most 5% in some spots. Your intuition is right on, but its not capturing the stray light already bouncing off the water, etc, but simply the already focused energy from the LED.
Putting on a diffuser of some kind will be much more beneficial than getting out the white paint or mylar foil. Your total light loss will be higher, but with less of a hot spot. Some satin acrylics are a good choice here.
How will total light loss be higher and not the same or less? I’m not moving the light up or down so how would current light loss change?
I’m not getting a hotspot. I’m very happy with my spread. It’s coral shadowing that is the issue. They don’t make a diffuser for my light. Don’t think it’s necessary.

Nutramar Foods

theatrus

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will total light loss be higher and not the same or less?

With the diffuser - all materials are lossy.

You'll improve your spread by re-casting some of the light in the canopy, but not an appreciable amount of light.

Shadowing requires more light sources, or a more even light source. Diffusers help with the latter.

OP
OP
L

leon.1980

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the diffuser - all materials are lossy.

You'll improve your spread by re-casting some of the light in the canopy, but not an appreciable amount of light.

Shadowing requires more light sources, or a more even light source. Diffusers help with the latter.
Ok thanks.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tank Stop
Back