Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was pleasantly surprised when I connected my new reefwave 25, bought it used, but it looks brand new. It sounds like a toy boat or a drill that buzzes and goes, absolutely anything but "dead silent" in reverse it is completely silent up to 50%, in normal mode it made an enormous amount of noise, but when I put it on the lowest speed it became the quiet one. Is this normal? remember mp10 (the one before qd) and tunze vsr very quiet

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jedi Knghit

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are over two years old and silent. I have them on random up to 70%, but I've never tried them in reverse. Maybe tear one totally down to make sure the shaft is clean and a maintenance kit?

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say silent, i cant hear it....or it is quiet?
If I turned off all the fans downstairs and the return pump and all other equipment there is a very slight hum from the gyre alone, but it is very faint - no clicking or grinding, just like a steady humming noise

OP
OP
K

klavmaister

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right should be right, it's important that people don't read this as a bad comment. not sure what i did but cleaned the pump and found it blew straight down. now I have a maximum of 40%, which is too powerful for the aquarium. Now it is at least 100% quiet

CLICK TO VIEW

MadCaddy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right should be right, it's important that people don't read this as a bad comment. not sure what i did but cleaned the pump and found it blew straight down. now I have a maximum of 40%, which is too powerful for the aquarium. Now it is at least 100% quiet
Just so I understand, you took the pump apart, cleaned it and that made it run quiet as expected? I also bought a couple of reef waves second hand and find them to have a fairly noticeable hum to them. I have a dc return pump so the reef waves are probably the noisiest thing in my setup which is unexpected. I haven’t taken them apart yet though.

OP
OP
K

klavmaister

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so I understand, you took the pump apart, cleaned it and that made it run quiet as expected? I also bought a couple of reef waves second hand and find them to have a fairly noticeable hum to them. I have a dc return pump so the reef waves are probably the noisiest thing in my setup which is unexpected. I haven’t taken them apart yet though.
That's right, I cleaned them carefully. also has the quietest dc pumps you can buy. keep the pump at a maximum of 40%, it is important not to have them too close to the water surface, I think they then suck in water from the top of, which makes more noise. let them go.in 24 hours and see if it gets better. mine is more or less impossible to hear now. sound is subjective, but I thought it was 100% quiet, I have turned off my dc protein skimmer from deltec because it is "noisy" when in reality it should be quiet.

Community Verified icon

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Hanna
Back