+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I’ve had a RS 1200 reefmat since the tank was wet back in July. Ever since I’ve been battling nonexistent nitrates and phosphates. When I say nonexistent I truly mean zero and that’s with a medium sized fish load and multiple feedings per day.
I started to dose for nitrates about two months ago and I’m finally seeing success in my sps. “Not starving them to death” But I was having to dose daily to even get my nitrates to 1.0.

My roller ran out of material about a week ago now and I haven’t changed it but now all of a sudden I actually have nitrates and I don’t have to dose daily to keep them between 1-5 “5 being preferred”
Do I keep the roller mat off? Do I open the side valve and let water through? I’m confused and concerned on what the right course of action is here… anything helps

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
DakotahSteel

DakotahSteel

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a better problem than having too high nitrates. Are you running a skimmer or anything else?

What are you feeding?
I am running a skimmer but just for 12 hours a day. Again to keep my nitrates from bottoming out.
As for feeding I’m doing 2 large frozen cubes or three of the regular sized frozen in the morning.
Auto feeder does pellets twice a day and then I do a regular sized block of cyclopeeze for a dinner snack.
I’m also putting a whole sheet of Nori in the clip

AS
OP
OP
DakotahSteel

DakotahSteel

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what would happen if you pulled the plug. Might just not trap anything. Don’t know if you can make it manual vs auto and then advance when you need to. Other option is stock some more fish.
That’s basically what I’ve been doing the last week. I’m thinking of loosening the screw plug on the other end of maybe even drilling some holes in it kind of thing

Nutramar Foods

PigFarmer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, reefmat stole all my nitrates and phosphates from 25ppm N and .15 phos to zero in about 2 months time on a 200gallon system. Left me with dinos! Conqured them and now the gha battle is on

wjm6449

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, reefmat stole all my nitrates and phosphates from 25ppm N and .15 phos to zero in about 2 months time on a 200gallon system. Left me with dinos! Conqured them and now the gha battle is on
Sounds like some one needs Crabs! An army of crabs. a ****** load of crabs
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

NotoriousDMC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RM500. ClariSea before that. I don’t see how a roller wouldn’t lower your nutrients, all else being equal. That said, I just turn the RM off every once in a while and let it overflow. I also do the same with my skimmer—e.g., turn it off all night after dosing AB+. I said in a post a while ago that I don’t understand why Red Sea didn’t include an adjustable valve to bypass the RM (like the ClariSea) and/or include the ability to schedule periods where the RM doesn’t advance. The included ability to only advance at a schedule time 1x/day isn’t the same.

In short, I love the RM, would never remove it, but yes, I do need to “manage” it, and my skimmer, to make sure I don’t go too low on nutrients.

PigFarmer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly why i wanted one but dinos scare the ever living ____ out of me. I do not want to go through that again.
Microbacter "clean" sure worked great on my dinos... for sure though I have ran sockless systems with much more success. Half this marketed newage hardware will do more harm than good and is unneeded.. Proved it too myself for the 6th or 7th time now

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microbacter "clean" sure worked great on my dinos... for sure though I have ran sockless systems with much more success. Half this marketed newage hardware will do more harm than good and is unneeded.. Proved it too myself for the 6th or 7th time now
Yup and BRS suggestions. I know i strived for the whole .03 phos and "oh you have cyano use red slime remover". This industry is all about getting you to keep spending $.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Chemi-pure.com - All-In-One Aquarium Filtration
Back