Koby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon setup that will eventually go into a 150 gallon next year. I have a basic ni crew light, a heater, a fluval canister filter (no sump) a hang on back oase protein skimmer, a fluval uv light that connects too my filter, a auto top of system, auto feeder, 2 wave makers, carib sea life rock 30-40 pounds somewhere in there, Carib sea Fiji pink live sand 40 pounds, and a thermometer. The point of this post is too gain as much knowledge as I can, constructive criticism, etc, take in as much advice as I can. I’ve been researching a lot but there is always more. Is there anything I am missing? Any equipment that would make my setup more functional, and advice too make me a better reefer? Things you guys wish you knew starting out? Mistakes you made that you regret that you can avoid now that you went through it but could pass on the knowledge too someone new in the hobby? Life hacks, etc

Things you should know. Of course I know some fish aren’t meant for this tank. Mainly the tangs. I wouldn’t have got them if I wasn’t forsure on upgrading my tank.
I always keep my tank spotless but I am going through the “ugly faze” and it’s a battle. Algae is putting up a fight.
My Stock list
Blue tang
Clownfish pair
Royal gramma
Yellow tang
Jawfish
Firefish
2 emerald crabs
10 turbo snails
10-20 hermit crabs
2 emerald crabs
I had a cleaner shrimp but he mysteriously died 2 weeks in, he looked completely healthy, everything in the tank looks healthy but he died randomly. Not sure why
I’ve also found bristle worms which was not planned but I decided too get over it and keep them because I was told they are a great clean up crew
Too be honest I lost track of what corals I put in there, I ordered them and the frags are so small it’s hard for me too identify, I know I have some hammers, a Duncan a long tentacle anemone and another anemone from wwc which a think split but it’s hard too tell as he’s hiding in the back. I think it’s the rainbow bubble.
Corals mainly from world wide corals and aqua sd. I purchased 2 corals from a lfs
I do weekly water changes (5 gallons) every Saturday
My auto feeder feeds every 12 hours plus I do 1 manual feed daily too make sure the auto feeder is working properly. Tank stays around 78-78.8 degrees. Lights run 12 hours daily. I’ve been in the hobby for a month, been doing freshwater my whole life dang near, One thing I will do better is more frequent water testing. I use salifert and have only tested one time. And everything looked normal, I keep my salinity at 35 ppt. I was nervous posting my tank at first but I feel that’s how you get better. Thank you guys so much. Any knowledge you can spare I would love too hear it

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• 75004539394__2BF014DE-9E2D-4585-9167-DDC3439A3FDD.MOV
    3.6 MB
Last edited:

QiKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself some test kits. Stability is the key to this hobby. Especially if you’re keeping corals. Also, plan your CUC. Just because you’re battling an ugly stage now doesn’t mean you will in the future. Which will then lead to dead CUC, or you have to feed them also.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back