Reef tank upgrade/swap question-sand

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
In the near future I’m going to be transferring my current tank ( 45 gallon) into a 90 gallon system. Current system has been running smoothly for a couple years. It’s attached to a large 75 gallon DIY sump tank in my basement.

Here’s my question. I’m planning on buying new sand for the tank upgrade but it seems wasteful to toss away the flourishing sand. My understanding is it’s not recommended to use old sand because of of trapped nutrients and NH3 spikes..

Would it be at all beneficial to transfer a third of my current Sand to the bottom of my new tank, then cover it up with fresh/ new sand? Thanks

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rinse the old sand clean and use it all and not waste any of it. If the current tank is healthy all that needs to prevent moving old funk is to rinse the sand completely free of old funk.

Not rinsing old sand isn't a good option, ime.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? That's how many years worth of poop and uneaten food and dead critters is stored in there.

You should rinse it, or trash it and buy new sand. But I always suggest to rinse new sand anyway, so might as well rinse the old sand.

Just keep one big scoop aside to transfer over and give the new sand a little boost.

OP
OP
N

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect I’ll transfer most of my original water. I’ll plan on rinsing my new sand 80 lbs and a portion of the old sand. I’ll lol seed the bottom of the new tank with a couple scoops of non rinsed sand. The new system will be connected to my current sump that’s loaded with live rock and a massive refugium. Thanks for the advice

Silverbeachfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doing the same thing soon, upgrading from Reefer 250 to 425. I’m going to reuse my old sand after cleaning and add new to top it off.
Last time I used new sand my tank was unstable, in my opinion.

graihg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect I’ll transfer most of my original water. I’ll plan on rinsing my new sand 80 lbs and a portion of the old sand. I’ll lol seed the bottom of the new tank with a couple scoops of non rinsed sand. The new system will be connected to my current sump that’s loaded with live rock and a massive refugium. Thanks for the advice
If you are buying dry sand and don't want your tank cloudy, reserve, like, at least 47 hours of time with your garden hose.
I just did this and it took f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get it to rinse clean.

OP
OP
N

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m using live sand, was planning on soaking it for a couple days with water from my water change today. Tank move on Saturday.
On another subject I stumbled across this Conduit PVC pipe that fits amazingly any chance this is Rich safe? Appreciate your help

Attachments

• 4D5DA1CC-1B27-434C-8208-1A3FC0E2C5EF.jpeg
    4D5DA1CC-1B27-434C-8208-1A3FC0E2C5EF.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 3B424BE5-065B-4B99-9100-DAA6616F95C3.jpeg
    3B424BE5-065B-4B99-9100-DAA6616F95C3.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 19

graihg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m using live sand, was planning on soaking it for a couple days with water from my water change today. Tank move on Saturday.
On another subject I stumbled across this Conduit PVC pipe that fits amazingly any chance this is Rich safe? Appreciate your help
That is just pvc conduit - same stuff the plumbing is made out of. Probably want to clean it really well. Lots o' home depot hands...

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m with the OPs original plan

I hear all the advise to start with fresh sand or wash the sand. I wonder, if that advise changes should sifters such as gobies are involved or copepod hunters such as Mandrians?

Similar to the OP. I have a somewhat established 43 gallon reef that I need to move into a warranty replacement of the same size. I have a Mandrian, yellow watchman, pistol, Nassarius, etc. while I’ve purchased a new bag of carbisea live sand, I’m leaning towards half existing and half new sand so the bed isn’t completely sterile and can repopulate quicker. I know that present some nitrates risk, trying to adopt a balance.

In my case. I plan on moving most critters to a QT tank for a day and giving the new tank and 1/2 new live and really live sand 24 hours to settle. I then plan on taking some of the extra sand and putting in my main display as it needs a bit more.

bigfish3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you rinse old sand?

Garden hose? If so, how do you remove the chlorine or whatever is in domestic water?

I’m about to upgrade from a 40 breeder to a 70.

I could use some real details here. The original setup is a legacy from the kids. I didn’t build the original setup.

Considering a garden hose rinse, dumping 10 pounds at a time into a bath towel, then Soaking in saltwater for a few minutes, then adding to base of the new tank.

Reuse all the old sand, then add 80 pounds Caribsea arag alive on top of that.

Does this seem like a workable plan?

OP
OP
N

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently swapped tanks and successfully recycled my old sand.
Rather than waste all that beneficial bacteria I did multiple water changes prior to swapping tanks, saving the water in sealed buckets. This water was used to thoroughly rinse the old sand prior. Just a thought

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back