Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, at least not with a sump. The two pumps will not be exactly balanced in flow rate and you will either overfill the tank or the sump. You would need some type of automatic level control system that would adjust the flow of one of the pumps which is generally used in industrial systems

A cannister works but that is only one pump

The traditional way is with a siphon overflow box on the tank which has been around since the 80's but entails some risk if the siphon tubes become air locked (tank overflow)

Upvote 0

fodsod

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add an HOB overflow box that empties into your sump and use the FX as your return pump. Inbound side of the FX goes into the return chamber of your sump and the out bound hose goes into your DT.

I ran a set up like that for about a year and it worked fine. Eventually, you can just dump the canister for good and add a return pump to your sump if you want.

Upvote 0

DCR

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the HOB siphon overflow box is your best option if you do not want to drill the tank. Many people are fearful of them, but when I used them, I never lost siphon. I would look at the LifeReef units if you want to try it. You do not want to go cheap.

Upvote 0

fodsod

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the HOB siphon overflow box is your best option if you do not want to drill the tank. Many people are fearful of them, but when I used them, I never lost siphon. I would look at the LifeReef units if you want to try it. You do not want to go cheap.
100% agree with this. LifeReef HOB overflow is what I use now (my tank is really old) and it has never had an issue. Very well made overflows that will last.

Upvote 0

fodsod

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canisters are generally speaking gravity fed once primed so this may not work if the canister is next to the sump.
Sorry but this is inaccurate. All canisters have an internal pump that pulls water in and pushes it out. It'll work perfectly fine. I speak from personal experience.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PlumberTwo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone that’s why I want to get to the sump I’m cleaning it every week and it takes over an hour I have a laundry room below but family live in the basement I’d hate for them to complain if it’s load but I’ll probably need a larger return pump correct it’s directly below

Upvote 0

WarChief

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone that’s why I want to get to the sump I’m cleaning it every week and it takes over an hour I have a laundry room below but family live in the basement I’d hate for them to complain if it’s load but I’ll probably need a larger return pump correct it’s directly below
So like I mentioned, get the HOB Overflow and a return pump and viola you are in the business with a sump!

Upvote 0

WarChief

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just started with a canister and swapped to a predrilled tank and sump. Check out my build thread and you will see I certainly just went through this. I just finished getting my sump up properly. Don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Upvote 0

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Sorry but this is inaccurate. All canisters have an internal pump that pulls water in and pushes it out. It'll work perfectly fine. I speak from personal experience.

I understand what you're saying and have had many canisters but the pump doesn't really have much suction, it is primed to make it over the rim of the tank, from there it's mostly gravity fed. If you stick the inlet of the canister into a shallow vessel next to the canister it will never pump the water up into the canister - at least the Fluvals didnt.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PlumberTwo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just started with a canister and swapped to a predrilled tank and sump. Check out my build thread and you will see I certainly just went through this. I just finished getting my sump up properly. Don't hesitate to ask any questions.
Hi where do I find your build thread?

Upvote 0

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hi where do I find your build thread?

Upvote 0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back