Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this hermit reef safe? Or will it eat my coral?

image.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of looks like a "blue banded hermit", Pagurus samuelis. (I just searched blue band hermit). They appear to be native to the western coast from the north down to Baja California. My gut says based on that location they'd likely prefer cooler water than standard reef temps and may have a reduced lifespan otherwise.

Looks like they eat seaweed and carrion and preferentially search out black turbo snail shells. They appear to be nocturnal.

All crabs, reef safe or not, are opportunistic. Eventually it may start snacking on your snails. It likely won't harm your coral, but crabs are unpredictable, especially when hungry.

I'd double check if something is reef safe before taking it home in the future. I've made that mistake before myself when first starting out.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Guerrzack

Guerrzack

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of looks like a "blue banded hermit", Pagurus samuelis. (I just searched blue band hermit). They appear to be native to the western coast from the north down to Baja California. My gut says based on that location they'd likely prefer cooler water than standard reef temps and may have a reduced lifespan otherwise.

Looks like they eat seaweed and carrion and preferentially search out black turbo snail shells. They appear to be nocturnal.

All crabs, reef safe or not, are opportunistic. Eventually it may start snacking on your snails. It likely won't harm your coral, but crabs are unpredictable, especially when hungry.

I'd double check if something is reef safe before taking it home in the future. I've made that mistake before myself when first starting out
Thanks! It’s in my QT tank rn debating on if I wanna move him into my main tank haha, he’s pretty cool an active, hard one to say

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back