Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some decorations that will be going above the tank, close to the water line but not in the tank. I was wanting to seal them since I don’t know what type of paint is on them. One claims to be reef safe. I was going to seal them with either marine polyurethane or 2-part epoxy. I’ve been told the UV-resistant ones are the best. This is a reef tank with lots of expensive coral and fish, I want it to be 100% in the clear. Please let me know.

AS

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine poly should be fine, unless you prefer epoxy. Minwax Helmsman works well; I went with water based since the oil based can yellow over time.

UV protection isn't really necessary but indicates the product can withstand outdoor conditions...

CLICK TO VIEW

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d think they’re fine the way they are… idk how many tanks I’ve seen people paint with krylon inside and all the plumbing in the water and no issues…
We don't know what exactly the OP is hanging... And there's the potential for salt creep too so looking into sealants is a very good idea.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't know what exactly the OP is hanging... And there's the potential for salt creep too so looking into sealants is a very good idea.
My point is, krylon does not say reef safe and is garbage if you ask me! Lol.. I have been custom painting for 30 years and if the paint is dry I highly doubt anything would contaminate the tank water.. if it’s a water base there might be a slight chance but even that unless fully submerged for a period time would be fine.. I’ve seen people paint fake coral inserts with all kids of paint and markers and never a issue..

Top Shelf Aquatics

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point is, krylon does not say reef safe and is garbage if you ask me! Lol.. I have been custom painting for 30 years and if the paint is dry I highly doubt anything would contaminate the tank water.. if it’s a water base there might be a slight chance but even that unless fully submerged for a period time would be fine.. I’ve seen people paint fake coral inserts with all kids of paint and markers and never a issue..
Fair point; I misunderstood your other comment :)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Gluemasters - your best choice for CA super glue
Back