+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Not sure where to post this, but since I’m new, here it goes. I have 2 reef rocks - purple coralline-looking sold as “life rock” at That Fish Place (if anyone is familiar). They’ve been in my 150 Malawai tank for probably 14 months. Curious if I need to do anything to them before moving to my saltwater tank, which at the moment houses just some small crabs, a shrimp, & 4 fish in an IM SR 60. Been running about a month. Thanks!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Not sure where to post this, but since I’m new, here it goes. I have 2 reef rocks - purple coralline-looking sold as “life rock” at That Fish Place (if anyone is familiar). They’ve been in my 150 Malawai tank for probably 14 months. Curious if I need to do anything to them before moving to my saltwater tank, which at the moment houses just some small crabs, a shrimp, & 4 fish in an IM SR 60. Been running about a month. Thanks!
The stuff growing on the rocks will likely die off when put into saltwater. This may or may not make the “uglies” uglier.

You could use a small stiff brush to scrub the surfaces and then place it in a dilute (1:100) bleach solution for an hour and then give it a thorough rinse. To make sure whatever bleach soak into the rock is removed, you could let it sit in water overnight before adding it to saltwater.

OP
OP
Z

zbrusko

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff growing on the rocks will likely die off when put into saltwater. This may or may not make the “uglies” uglier.

You could use a small stiff brush to scrub the surfaces and then place it in a dilute (1:100) bleach solution for an hour and then give it a thorough rinse. To make sure whatever bleach soak into the rock is removed, you could let it sit in water overnight before adding it to saltwater.
This is super helpful, thanks!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dr. Reefs Quarantined Fish
Back