Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m making a PCB board I think I have it done still checking it.

SDA1, SCL1, TXD, RXD will use jumper wires to make the connections, for PH probes one in the calcium reactor one sump.

PMW0, PMW1 will use jumpers to make the connections for the dosing pump motors, this way if I want to use them in a different way I can. I can use the pumps for my calcium reactor one to feed it and one to meter calcium back to tank.

I want to have LEDs come on by float switches but would like the GPIO’s to see the lights come on and report it on the reef-pi screen and by email. (Top right hand of board) same with back up heater.

I put ATO float switch and ATO ds18B20 sensor on it too. Not sure if I will use them on my 300gal. Tank but want them on the PCB. I use a 15 gal top-up box RO-DI water to it by float valve. Than gravity feed by float valve to sump, no pumps, I just want to see light on and email if low water. Other tanks I may use.

8 switch relay connection on left-hand side it uses 5v power for relay switching.

As you can see I have six 0-10v for Mars blue led side, I don’t run the whites, and ten 0-10v for the kessil a360we setup in pairs, I set the PCB board up so those can spit for other light If not using Kessil LEDs, I have two T5 light with two 4’ bulbs on each but they are not dimmable at this time., that may change. The way I put the power to them with a plug it can be change so if some of the lights ever change I can add another PCA9685 breakout board and have some on 0-10v or 0-12v or 0-5v whatever is need for the new lights, kessil a360we can be hook together so I may only use 3 pairs out of 5 on the Kessil lights. And make the T5s dimmable by changing the ballast in each.

All the power is setup so jumpers can hook them together or I can put jumper wires to them I made a board with 3.3v, 5v, 10v, 12v plugs, and I use three LM2596 to set the voltage.

I do not want to use the power from the Raspberry Pi. As they will be in a case with touch screens, I put a 40 pin socket on the PCB board to go to Raspberry Pi I think I will make some 40 pin cable with D-Sub connectors on one end to hook them together.

I think have resistor in series on the GPIOs as needed it’s the one in the top right for the LED lights I’m still trying to figure out, like I was saying I only want those GPIOs to see that the float switch made the connection and the light came on. I think I will need to learn how to write the script for this as I have not found a wright up on it.

I looked at free INSTANT QUOTE here is standard ( or is this better and worth the cost)

PCB prototype:
Gerber file - Gerber_Y2

Layers: 2

Dimension: 200mm*100mm

PCB Qty: 10

PCB Thickness: 1.6 (or is 2 )

Impedance: no

PCB Color: Green

Surface Finish: HASL(withLead) (or leadFree HASL RoHS ) (or ENIG-RoHS)

Copper Weight: 1 oz (or 2 oz)

Gold Fingers: No

Material Details: FR4-Standard Tg 130-140C

Panel By JLCPCB: No

Weight: 810g

Flying Probe Test: Fully Test

Castellated Holes: no

REEF-PI PCB BY lotus02.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should breadboard/perfboard this first I think. There’s a lot more passives you may need of you want to go for more pwm and gpio in the same board. If this is your first electronics projects it’s easier to start with something small

OP
OP
lotus02

lotus02

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only thing I have done is bread board and did make my power boards its bin running for week temp turns light on for heater temp turns fan when temp is up fan blows on the probe temp drops fan , light back on, 12v led lights running off 8 way switch,and leds on breadboard running on light controller dimming working on them low at start up and dim back down at night to off.

20190218_000554_resized.jpg

20190218_000559_resized.jpg

20190218_000617_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
lotus02

lotus02

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some Perma Proto HAT, Perma-Proto Half-sized Breadboard PCB - Single and Perma-Proto Full-sized Breadboard and all the other parts will start solder up prototype maybe tomorrow still waiting on the 16 pin and 18 pin sockets for the driver chips don't want to solder the chip on prototype board.

OP
OP
lotus02

lotus02

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Fritzing support polygons/flood fills/pours/planes? Ideally, make the entire bottom of the board a GND flood and avoid running traces there as much as possible.
don't know but half it is run on back so full GND back would not work but maybe with a 3 layer board full GND would work.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
lotus02

lotus02

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look into that but there is a lot more than just GND running on the back all the pca9685 feeds are on the back thats 5v + all the way around the outside. some of the 3.3V+ is on the back, pmw 0&1 both on back where you see 5v-GND that is what each pin is 5v one pin GND other pin I will change
to 5V+GND

theatrus

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look into that but there is a lot more than just GND running on the back all the pca9685 feeds are on the back thats 5v + all the way around the outside. some of the 3.3V+ is on the back, pmw 0&1 both on back where you see 5v-GND that is what each pin is 5v one pin GND other pin I will change
to 5V+GND

You don't need to get everything (running power along the edge is fine), just avoid turning the back layer into swiss cheese.

Four layer boards are possible, but quite a bit more expensive and not needed here.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lingwendil

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to PCBs, but found that setting up a ground plane before placing any parts or traces is much, much easier. Tie all connections that need to be ground directly to ground, keep power traces on top of the board, and try to avoid running much other than small signal traces on the bottom of the board. It helps force you into clever and tight routing of traces (which is good for reducing noise, and keeping things compact) and you can then add isolated sections that are empty of ground pour as needed. It really is much easier with ground pour.

LDD_H8multiSEMIFINAL.png

SEmulti010119.png

Nutramar Foods

dadarara

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this board finished?
is the below Robo Tank kit the same ?

I am looking to buy such board for ReeefPi setup.
have seen the Leviathan board , but it has only 4 dosing ports. I would like to have more than 6 if anyway possible. also to have about 8 water level sensor inputs.
can you advise where to look ?

Corals.com

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this board finished?
is the below Robo Tank kit the same ?

I am looking to buy such board for ReeefPi setup.
have seen the Leviathan board , but it has only 4 dosing ports. I would like to have more than 6 if anyway possible. also to have about 8 water level sensor inputs.
can you advise where to look ?
This is not the Robo tank board. Robo tank is from @robsworld78 . These two are different projects

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Queen City Corals
Back