Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a 96 x 32 x 24 glass tank, it has a 5/8 thick 22 inch wide center brace. Yes it is an old old tank. 5/8 sides and 3/4 bottom. I was reading up on the Orphek Atlantik iCon light, they claim a 43 x 25 light spread, could I run just 2 of those lights on that aquarium? I realize that the center of the tank is not going to get enough light for a lot of stuff with just 2, but that center brace would destroy any decent PAR I'd get from a light above it anyways wouldn't it? Especially if I am not diligent on keeping algae/salt build up scraped off it?

CLICK TO VIEW
AS

RedoubtReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all of the above. Mixed Reef, SPS, LPS, Zoa's, Poly's, Softy's. Some fish, I plan on lightly stocking it with fish, and inverts of course, love them guys
Personally, I prefer halides and T5s. So I'd go with Reef Brite fixtures if you are interested in that option and pendant style fixtures will work for you.

OP
OP
Bruttall

Bruttall

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have room above the tank for pendants. Think you can see the low over head I am working with in this pic. backside of my 300.

20221227_070442.jpg

Last edited:

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those Orpheks look like really nice lights.

The spread of 43" might be possible, but I think you'd have to hang them higher than you have room for. You might consider 4 or the iCon compacts rather than 2 of the iCons. It would cost 2680$ instead of 2870$, but you could spread them 1 every 2 feet.

Check out the Reefi Unos while you're at it. 4 of those would be similar to the compacts.

Edit: Sorry, 1870 for the pair of iCons.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Bruttall

Bruttall

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did some checking, and read a thread i found below this response box about these lights called Most Beautiful aquascapes something. They mount 16 inches above your water line, or higher. I have room for them barely and I would only need 2 as they do cover a full 48 x 30 area. Thanks for the responses guys, I know what my lights for this are gonna be now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I own a 96 x 32 x 24 glass tank, it has a 5/8 thick 22 inch wide center brace. Yes it is an old old tank. 5/8 sides and 3/4 bottom. I was reading up on the Orphek Atlantik iCon light, they claim a 43 x 25 light spread, could I run just 2 of those lights on that aquarium? I realize that the center of the tank is not going to get enough light for a lot of stuff with just 2, but that center brace would destroy any decent PAR I'd get from a light above it anyways wouldn't it? Especially if I am not diligent on keeping algae/salt build up scraped off it?
Having large tanks and running only Orpheks, I would suggest minimum of three or you can run two with one Or3-60 in the center and one OR#-24 on each end. The three would be ideal for proper balance

Corals.com
OP
OP
Bruttall

Bruttall

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry six lights, my brain stopped working
LOL, Ok I see now. Light Bars, I was looking at the OR3 yesterday trying to figure our how 3 of those little bitty bars would work on my 8 foot long tank. Sorry but lazy, will that OSIXX controll give me the same kind of control that the Atlantik iCon lights offer?

And keep in mind, I have a 40? year old tank, with a 22 inch wide 5/8ths thick glass center brace. That brace diffuses a lot of light. Why I was thinking Atlantik iCon because I could put one on each end since they boast a 48 x 30 coverage. I am not worried about being able to grow SPS in the middle of this tank, I already planned on it being the low light/soft coral area. Here is a half decent picture. notice not only the center brace, but the 1/2inch thick corner bracing. If anyone can put a Manufacturer Name to this tank I'd be grateful, I bought it used.

20230304_070716.jpg

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do, I am in Research Mode, more I can learn better off I am. Pictue of configurations would be super helpful too, even if just a sketch.

In that price range, the neptune sky and ati straton may be a neat option. I usually don't recommend lights in these price ranges but they are near the orphek. A kessil + AI blade (or reef brite) combo would work well since they don't need to be mounted high off the water. Red sea led's would be a cheaper alternative to kessil but I wouldn't use them without the AI blades.

If you want to save money, I'd check out noopsyche. I haven't seen the maxspect jump in person but it might be worth looking into. Reefbreeders are another budget friendly option but like the orpheks, they need to be mounted high inorder to avoid hotspots.

Check out the recent brs investigates video series on lights. They offer a TON of information.

Nutramar Foods

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading your post. Yeah the ICON's would have to be raised too high to try and get away with 2 and I agree that you dont have the room. The OR3's would probably work well as others have stated. OSIX is only available I believe for pre order on the smaller length ones right now. Havnt seen the release date. If you were to go that route, you may want to contact them on release dates as they have been working on this tech for some time.

I cant wait to get my hands on OSIX for my OR150's so I will post about it when I get it. I also have all Orphek light setup on 255 gallon aquarium.

Mystersynyster

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, Ok I see now. Light Bars, I was looking at the OR3 yesterday trying to figure our how 3 of those little bitty bars would work on my 8 foot long tank. Sorry but lazy, will that OSIXX controll give me the same kind of control that the Atlantik iCon lights offer?

And keep in mind, I have a 40? year old tank, with a 22 inch wide 5/8ths thick glass center brace. That brace diffuses a lot of light. Why I was thinking Atlantik iCon because I could put one on each end since they boast a 48 x 30 coverage. I am not worried about being able to grow SPS in the middle of this tank, I already planned on it being the low light/soft coral area. Here is a half decent picture. notice not only the center brace, but the 1/2inch thick corner bracing. If anyone can put a Manufacturer Name to this tank I'd be grateful, I bought it used.

View attachment 3048276
Same controller as the icon

Attachments

• 20230304_162920.jpg
    20230304_162920.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
Bruttall

Bruttall

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will have 20 inches above my tank for lights, I have 16 1/2 right now, when I do this, gonna remake my stand 3 1/2 inches shorter. The Atlantik Icon claims to have a mount height of 15 to 17 inches above water line, or am I missing something on them?

The OR3 seem to have the same Mount Height requirement of 15 to 17 inches.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Mystersynyster

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will have 20 inches above my tank for lights, I have 16 1/2 right now, when I do this, gonna remake my stand 3 1/2 inches shorter. The Atlantik Icon claims to have a mount height of 15 to 17 inches above water line, or am I missing something on them?

The OR3 seem to have the same Mount Height requirement of 15 to 17 inches.
Yea can even be mounted 22"+ above water. I am just over 16" from surface with peak intensity at 50%. Trying to find someone local with a PAR meter to take readings

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Vivid
Back