Reef help: What are items that make the hobby that much easier?

BRS

What are items that make the hobby that much easier?

• Auto top off

Votes: 56 83.6%
  • Digital testers

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • Auto water change

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Controllers

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • Light schedules

Votes: 41 61.2%
  • Glass scrapers

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reef help: What are items that make the hobby that much easier?

Patience is a virtue in reefing (and other parts of life) and taking your time and not taking shortcuts is important, however sometimes there are things that we can do to make life easier without compromising our care for our reef. Whether it is by moving water using pumps instead of buckets; topping off the tank with an ATO, using an auto-water change system (AWC), or controlling light schedules, variable pump schedules, and more with an automated control system, there are many items that make the hobby a little easier. Is there any unique or unusual reef aid that you use? Please tell us about the ways that you get help with your reefing.

Pezking182_Neptune.jpeg

Photo by @Pezking182

Today’s question of the day (QOTD) idea and poll submitted by @John Bolden. If you have an idea for a future QOTD please send a PM to @Peace River.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
outside those listed, this has greatly aided my lps feeding game. I have the one-inch diameter.

EricR

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal opinion -- in order:
1. ATO by far -- I'd argue that top off is the only thing that you really just shouldn't flat out IGNORE for a few days. (Nice to not have to have someone deal with while on vacation)
2. Digital testers just 'cause I'm color-blind -- otherwise wouldn't rate so high to me.
3. Light schedules -- took this to mean at least some way to have lights come on/off by themselves.

DannoOMG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since people are talking up ATO's. I have a 25 gallon NUVO and for some reason I am struggling with keeping my salinity in check even though I put water in the AM and the PM.

Could someone recommend me a safe ATO that won't flood my tank as long as I clean the sensor weekly?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since people are talking up ATO's. I have a 25 gallon NUVO and for some reason I am struggling with keeping my salinity in check even though I put water in the AM and the PM.

Could someone recommend me a safe ATO that won't flood my tank as long as I clean the sensor weekly?

Tunze 3155 is the best ATO on market

DannoOMG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I ordered it and a reservoir. I think the lack of ATO is making my skimmer not able to skim properly. Cup keeps filling up with water too quickly.

But the salinity is the big thing. I keep hanging around 1.027-28 by the end of the week. I've had a enough of that.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FM
Back