Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am slowly switching to Instant ocean Reef Crystals for my 13.5 Gal reef tank. How long should i let the saltwater mix for? I plan on doing a 2 gallon water change every 5 days.
A few minutes is enough.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am slowly switching to Instant ocean Reef Crystals for my 13.5 Gal reef tank. How long should i let the saltwater mix for? I plan on doing a 2 gallon water change every 5 days.
Instant Ocean (regular and reef crystals) isn't one that needs excessive mixing (but it also won't hurt it if you mix for a longer time). I usually mix it until it's heated to the same temp as the tank - by then, the salt has long since dissolved. You can store it in a container with a lid for quite a while and then just remix for a few minutes (or long enough to heat it again if you need to), and it will be good to go. Just double check the salinity to account for evap if the lid isn't tight-fitting.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a small 13 gallon it is best practice especially with reef crystal, to fully mix solution and make sure if salinity. Reef crystal has been shown to take longer than most to clear up and fully mix
Since when?? I've used it for 7 years and it always mixes really fast.

Avast
Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

harper

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started filtering my instant ocean and reef crystals with a 1 micron filter. It really has helped with maintaining clear and clean mixing container and aquariums. I mix for at least 2 hours in a 40 breeder with two gyers and a recirculating pump through the 1 micron filter. The pic is comparing new vs 4 buckets of reef crystals. I have 2 quarantines each less than 10 gallons which I do 100% water changes on. Before filtering that brown crap would settle on the glass and bottom after wc. Fwiw.

PXL_20230328_182753714.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started filtering my instant ocean and reef crystals with a 1 micron filter. It really has helped with maintaining clear and clean mixing container and aquariums. I mix for at least 2 hours in a 40 breeder with two gyers and a recirculating pump through the 1 micron filter. The pic is comparing new vs 4 buckets of reef crystals. I have 2 quarantines each less than 10 gallons which I do 100% water changes on. Before filtering that brown crap would settle on the glass and bottom after wc. Fwiw.

View attachment 3176649
Yes, it's well known that Instant Ocean contains binders that can leave a brown residue in mixing containers. It's been shown time and time again that it does not harm anything. No need at all to filter artificial saltwater, lol!!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3176649
dang I filter mine also, but use regular purple box IO. I go through 5 200G boxes before I switch out my 1 micron filter, and it's no where near as brown as your is using IORC.

AS

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's well known that Instant Ocean contains binders that can leave a brown residue in mixing containers. It's been shown time and time again that it does not harm anything. No need at all to filter artificial saltwater, lol!!
Certainly not needed, no. But, and this is a big but, if you could simply filter out the "brown crud" keep your mixing barrels clean, and not send that to the tank, why not?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly not needed, no. But, and this is a big but, if you could simply filter out the "brown crud" keep your mixing barrels clean, and not send that to the tank, why not?
Personally, because it's not a lot considering all the other "crud" in the tank, and I rinse out my mixing barrels (brute cans) after each use :)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Extreme Corals
Back