+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Collogues

After one week of using red starfish sq 50 protein skimmer I have a problem with pouring of water foam in the top basket/container. What might be the problem? Air suction hose seems to have air flow but the foam after few minutes is pouring to the top basket/container. I tried to adjust pump flow little big down but still is has tendency to pure over. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

Top Shelf Aquatics

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of this brand of skimmer so my suggestion is just from me guessing after googling an image of it.

It seems to maybe have an adjustment so that you can lower the water level in the skimmer (I’m assuming that’s what that is) so try adjusting it so that it restricts the outlet of the skimmer less so that it can lower the level in the skimmer.
E911CAC7-1B62-4075-85F4-00BD304F5A56.png

On new skimmers it’s not uncommon for them to have a break in period where they go crazy overflowing but within a week I would’ve expected it to stop if that’s the reason. There are also certain chemicals that can cause a skimmer to the overflow.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is this on? I would try to also raise the skimmer up a bit if that can be adjusted, but honestly the skimmer is rated for only 50 liters and seems to be built pretty badly, so I would probably not even use it. If you have a skimmer on such a small tank it wont really do too much for nutrients, but will help with O2. The mame skimmer, or similar air stone driven skimmers, would probably work better on a tank 13 gallons or less.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Brite the professionals choice
Back