Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone turned the Red Sea ATO (the smaller 170 one for me) into a refugium or some kind without major DIY? I can’t and don’t want to drill anything, but any other solutions are welcome.

Hell even if I just put chaeto/macro algae in it and submerge and cover with egg crate so it doesn’t go everywhere in a high flow area I’m happy.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few vids & post on this ... check google & youtube try red sea reefer reservoir to refugium conversion
there are many ...here is just one

I know but this is exactly the type of drilling and plumbing I don’t want to do just yet as mentioned in the main post. Just looking to get an area in the tank I can keep and light the chaeto withought doing all of that for now. Main issue is just keeping it in the resovoir without it ending up in your return pump

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how you might rig that up without some type of gravity feed (w/o drilling) …siphon of some type? or maybe remove that 1/4 plastic tube thingy somehow so you could get a more realistic outflow
Honestly not a clue.. lack of experience in drilling just makes me want to find other solutions first.

I also had the idea of taking the media basket out of an old tidal 75 and using that in the sump, so I tried it and as soon as I plugged it in the fuse blew I think. Massive popping noise, so won’t be trying that lol!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve drilled hundreds of tanks, yup hundreds (OK maybe “Dozens” ha ha)
But honestly I dont like standing there for 10 minutes holding a drill steady either
…but it might be your only option ….
Red Sea ATO res aint cheap, so I get the risk, but that glass aint thick neither…odds are you will be successful..maybe 3/4” bit fromAmazon and a Lifegard bulkhead/strainer from same….

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Battlecorals
Back