+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am about to go crazy regarding the Red Sea Refractometer. I have went by the directions step by step and reread everything and watched countless videos to make sure I am correct. It is telling me to calibrate it with room temperature RODI Water (70 Degrees F currently) and wait 15 seconds for the ATC to kick in. I have done this over and over and recalibrated it over and over. Each time with a different result. Im taking out the Tank water and replacing it with purely RODI water to try to lower the Salinity Levels to no avail. Should I just toss this thing in the trash and get something else? How long must I wait in between adding water to check the Salinity? Also do I have to Recalibrate it every single time even if it changes almost every single time? I'm relatively new to this and this is driving me crazy.

World Wide Corals

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am about to go crazy regarding the Red Sea Refractometer. I have went by the directions step by step and reread everything and watched countless videos to make sure I am correct. It is telling me to calibrate it with room temperature RODI Water (70 Degrees F currently) and wait 15 seconds for the ATC to kick in. I have done this over and over and recalibrated it over and over. Each time with a different result. Im taking out the Tank water and replacing it with purely RODI water to try to lower the Salinity Levels to no avail. Should I just toss this thing in the trash and get something else? How long must I wait in between adding water to check the Salinity? Also do I have to Recalibrate it every single time even if it changes almost every single time? I'm relatively new to this and this is driving me crazy.
I prefer using the tropic marin high precision hydrometer while im mixing my saltwater.
Once i have the salinity dialed in at 77 degrees, I used a cheap coralife deep six hydrometer and marked the real 1.026 level with a sharpie and use that from then on.

Keeps the large fragile glass hydrometer unbroken lol.

Btw the coralife hydrometer was showing 1.030sg for an actual 1.026 reading o_O

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral Frenzy
Back