Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone managed to find the overflow / forward length sweet spot with a Red Sea ReefMat 1200? Been running for approx. four weeks on my Red Sea Peninsula 650 and finding it impossible to tune my overflow so that it isn't either using the emergency drain or the dreaded constant overflow gurgle!

Every time I think I've got it set just right, a couple of days later I find it's flowing down the emergency drain. I'm sure the solution is to adjust the 'forward' length in the ReefMat settings - played with a few small adjustments but can't figure out if I need it to advance more or less each time!

AquaCave Logo Banner

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone managed to find the overflow / forward length sweet spot with a Red Sea ReefMat 1200? Been running for approx. four weeks on my Red Sea Peninsula 650 and finding it impossible to tune my overflow so that it isn't either using the emergency drain or the dreaded constant overflow gurgle!

Every time I think I've got it set just right, a couple of days later I find it's flowing down the emergency drain. I'm sure the solution is to adjust the 'forward' length in the ReefMat settings - played with a few small adjustments but can't figure out if I need it to advance more or less each time!
Glad I'm not the only one! I've only a few days in but I'm noticing the ReefMat presents a bit of a challenge in fine-tuning water levels. I'm using the 0.8-1.0" auto advance amount (having tried 3-4 other settings) and have managed to just fine-tune the gate valve such that there's no gurgling.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
psumms

psumms

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... the Red Sea reply: Buy a new down-flow value diaphragm! or buy the new v4 down-flow value assembly. I'm pretty sure this isn't the cause (or solution!) as I have replaced the valve - and it's clean.

Still experimenting but as far as I can tell, and pretty much as you would expect, the smaller the roll advance increment the better.

I don't know why they have so a huge number of roll advance length options when on even a large Red Sea tank with an Abyzz 200 return pump, anything over the second smallest option seems to cause issues! Lots of options are great but give people too many and problems arise!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
psumms

psumms

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of adding a wye and plumb the emergency to the same line so that when it overflows it goes into the roller instead of dumping food in the sump….
Not sure I would plumb them together, what if the ReefMat input pipe comb clogs? May be use some flexible pipe in through the top of the unit? … but I have also thought of popping the emergency drain to the ReefMat.

CLICK TO VIEW

glency

Review score
+6 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+6 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure I would plumb them together, what if the ReefMat input pipe comb clogs? May be use some flexible pipe in through the top of the unit? … but I have also thought of popping the emergency drain to the ReefMat.
Good point. Thanks.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AAF
Back