Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm coming back into the hobby after about a six year break. I've been wanting to start up a new tank for the past two years, but we had been thinking about moving and I didn't want to start a new tank only to sell the house and then have to break it down and try to move it. Moved into a new house last March and bought everything for the new tank during the November/Black Friday sales. I have followed this forum and one or two others regularly and have received a lot of valuable information, but I have rarely posted anything. The types of threads that have always been the most informative and enjoyable for me are the build threads. So, with this new build I have decided to start a thread in hopes that I might be able to share some information or points that might help someone else who is contemplating the Red Sea tank and other equipment I've chosen, and possibly learn from the invariable mistakes (not too big I hope) I will make along the way.

I wanted a six or seven foot tank and was considering various custom options, Cade, Waterbox, Innovative Marine, and Red Sea. I finally decided on the Reefer - S 1000. I decided on the Red Sea mainly due to the metal stand, the Euro bracing, the bracing on the bottom panel, the armored seams, and the price. I ordered the tank mid-November, but like many people who also ordered one around that time, it took a couple months to get. It finally arrived last Thursday, February the 10th.

A single guy delivered the tank. Both the outer rails of the pallet were gone and it was just balancing on the center rail, so I had to help the guy unload it from the truck using his pallet jack and a floor jack that I have. The way it had been loaded into the truck made it incredibly difficult to get out to the loading gate, and in the process we had to remove the center rail from the pallet. This turned out to be a good thing because the stand is packaged under the tank on the pallet. You have to lift the tank off the stand first. My plan was to lift the tank onto two furniture dollies, and with the center brace of the pallet gone the plywood base of the crate now could sit directly on the ground. This allowed the height of the bottom of the tank to be almost as the same height of the dollies, so all I had to do is basically move the tank straight across from the pallet to the dollies without having to lift it up or drop it down too much. For anyone interested, I got the Milwaukee dollys at U-Haul for $19.99 a piece.

To unpack this thing, move the tank to the dollies, and then build the stand, at least two strong people would be the best. Unfortunately, I didn't have anyone to give me a hand, so it can be done with one person, but I'm still pretty sore two days later. I'm 53 and in decent shape, so it can be done, but the more the merrier on this one. Anyway, I bought two sets of FCHO glass suction cups from Amazon ($25.99 per set of two) to lift and move the tank. I am really happy with the dollys and the suction cups, well worth the money.

After unpacking everything out of the tank, and removing all the sides of the crate, I managed to move the tank onto the dollies one side at a time. My God this thing is heavy. To unpack everything from the tank, it took me about 45 minutes. Then, to remove the sides of the crate, move the tank to the dollies, move the tank into my courtyard, unpack the stand, finish breaking down the crate and cleaning everything up, it took me about another hour. I will hire a LFS to place the tank on the stand and level it for me.

I then laid all the stand parts out and began putting it together. Some people have said that the instructions are bit hard to understand but I thought they are pretty straight forward. You do have to look at the diagrams really carefully to make sure you orient the pieces correctly, and in a couple of steps I found it helpful to look a couple steps ahead to make sure everything was oriented correctly. The only steps that had me stumped were steps 4 and 5. These steps have you attach part of the door hinges to two panels. They label the part as "L1" and the parts page shows two separate parts, "L1" and "L2" for the hinges, but in my parts box, I only had eight hinges. I couldn't for the life of me find the hinge base plate L1. I thought I was going to have to contact the retailer to let them know that I had parts missing. It turns out that L1 is packaged as already being connected to the L2 hinges though. You have to remove L1 from L2 to install L1. The instructions were not very clear about this. But for me, everything else was pretty easy to follow. You will also need to have a couple hand tools. Most of the screws have a torx bit head. You get two torx bits in the kit, but you need a screwdriver and/or power driver that can accept bits to be able to use the tools. A few screws are Phillips head, so you need a Phillips screwdriver too. It takes a bit of strength to get all the screws into the metal frame. To get the stand assembled to the point in the instructions where it says to place the tank on the stand, it took me about five hours.

My impressions of the tank are that it is very, very well made. The extra bracing everywhere gives me a lot of confidence that this will be very reliable. All the edges have been cut and polished perfectly, and all the silicon seems to be perfect. The glass is very clear, and they even used low iron glass on the back panel which is black, so they didn't really even need to. The quality of the sump and all the plumbing is also very high. I am also very, very impressed with the quality of the fit and finish of the stand. Anyone who has purchased furniture and things like that online that require assembly by the purchaser knows that the fit of a lot of that stuff is questionable. Holes don't line up, gaps between panels and parts, cheap hardware, and flimsy materials are not uncommon. However, every single hole on all this stand's parts lined up perfectly. Nothing had to be "massaged" into place. No gaps between the panels and the braces. The hardware is high quality stainless. The panels all seem to be real plywood instead of MDF. The door hinges are soft close. It's really a very high quality stand. There are cheaper options than Red Sea, and this is the first Red Sea tank that I have ever had, but in my opinion the premium quality of everything so far really justifies the premium price. No corners have been cut on anything to do with this tank, stand, sump, and plumbing. I have absolutely no complaints at this point.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. I will try to do an update with pictures once a week as I go through the process of getting the tank fully set up, cycled, and then filled with life.

Enjoy!

IMG_0662.jpg IMG_0663.jpg IMG_0666.jpg IMG_0667.jpg IMG_0670.jpg IMG_0673.jpg IMG_0674.jpg IMG_0676.jpg IMG_0678.jpg

BRS
OP
OP
H

hja99

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more pictures of the unpacking.

Attachments

• IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0672.jpg
    IMG_0672.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0675.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 166
Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
H

hja99

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, you moved that beast onto the dollies yourself? that's insane.
following as this is my dream tank as well. good luck with the build and congrats
Thanks! Yes, it was tough. I definitely recommend have a friend or two help out. I would definitely recommend this tank too, so if you have the chance to get one, go for it.

OP
OP
H

hja99

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank, you're going to love it! Here's my S-100 build thread. Let me know if you have any questions.

Looking forward to following along!
Thanks. Yes, I'm really happy with the tank so far. Yours is looking really great too. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

OP
OP
H

hja99

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had planned to update this thread more often, but..... Anyway, I had a LFS in Temecula get it up on the stand for me. They were pretty reasonable, and it was really worth hiring them rather than trying to find a bunch of guys that could lift the darn thing.

Attachments

• IMG_0737.jpg
    IMG_0737.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0738.jpg
    IMG_0738.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0739.jpg
    IMG_0739.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 230
OP
OP
H

hja99

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plumbing and sump and the doors all went in really easily and fit perfectly. The doors are really nice with soft close hinges, and the ability to adjust them so they fit perfectly. Before I installed the sump, I installed a led light strip around the top of the inside of the cabinet. I think that is one of the best things you can do. It makes it so easy to see what's going on and work inside the cabinet. I also got my three rock structures in place.

I worked to get all the cables in a raceway and held in place with ties. I am going to run a refugium in the chamber right after the inlet using some red pom pom, codium, and caullerpa in that chamber, and then run the entire second chamber on the right side of the cabinet with cheato. The Triton system calls for a large refugium, so I think that should do the trick. I also have some rock in both refugium areas for the macro algae to attach to and for pods to grow, and hopefully proliferate in.

I added a 15 gallon ATO reservoir which took up a lot of room, but about 2.5 gallons a day of water is evaporating from this thing, so I really needed to have the reservoir for stability, and I didn't want an exterior one. So far it's worked out well. It's just made it very tight in the cabinet.

Attachments

• IMG_0740.jpg
    IMG_0740.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0749.jpg
    IMG_0749.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 297
OP
OP
H

hja99

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put about 2 inches of live sand in, and got the tank filled and cycling. I have a BRS 75gpd four-stage RO/DI filter. With my water pressure here, it maybe only produced 50-60 gallons a day, so it took about 5 days to fill this thing up. I am just a little over two weeks into the cycle. I used Fritz ammonia and their turbo start 900 bacteria. Ammonia has gone to 0 and nitrites are starting to come down.

I also added an Adaptive Reef controller board to the slide out panel in the cabinet. I mounted an Ice Cap battery back up and all the energy blocks for the equipment inside of the controller board, and then mounted the board to the slide out panel. It all worked out pretty well, and I'm pretty happy with the result. It has kept the wires and cables under control and not just wadded up and lying around everywhere.

I added a Red Sea Reef Dose and the dosing lines, but I am still working on placement and mounting for the dosing containers. If I didn't have the ATO reservoir there would have been plenty of room, but I had to mount the dosser on the central panel on the right side, and I think I will mount a shelf for the dosing containers to sit on, on the left side of the central panel.

I used the DIY Red Sea screen top kits to make screen tops. I lost several fish in my last tank to carpet surfing and I don't want that to happen again. I actually made three separate panels instead of just one big one. Having three allows me to easily access sections of the tank for maintenance or feeding without having to try and remove, or move a 7 foot screen lid. I'm really happy with how the frames turned out, but the screen could have been a little better. It's not as straight in some places as I would have liked, but for the price it was worth it. I also have a ton of the screen material left over so I can always try again if it bothers me too much.

As soon as nitrites are gone I'll get my macro algae and pods in there as well as some fish.

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 212
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
H

hja99

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check your PAR levels? Would be interesting to see what just 3 a500x lights can do.
I have not yet, but it's something I want to do. The LFS that got the tank on the stand for me does not have a PAR meter to lend out or measure PAR for customers. BRS does not have one of their loaner meters in stock at the moment either. There are two other LFS's in town that I need to contact to see if they have one for rent, and I'm waiting for an email from BRS as soon as one of theirs becomes available again. I will post the results once I get them.

I am planning a mixed reef, so I think I will definitely have enough PAR for a few SPS right below each light. I intentionally went with just the three a500s to get some low PAR areas for things like leptos and chalices. We'll see.

Avast
OP
OP
H

hja99

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations with your new tank! Thanks for the nice and detailed update :D
What fish are you going to keep? Any plans?
Thanks. I don't have a detailed fish list yet. I'll have some of the classics and some wrasses. I'm a huge fan of wrasses. I also want one or two of the big tangs now that I have a tank to hold them.

OP
OP
H

hja99

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! I did the same x3 nets for the top... I added two of Neat Portals, one on each end. Super nice to have.

You could use the skinny gallon jugs behind the tank for dosing. That's how I have my Trident waste set up.
Thanks. That's a good idea about the skinny jugs. I'll measure that out this evening and see if that might work. Thanks for the tip. I'll also look into the Neat Portals. That would make it even more convenient.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
H

hja99

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like how you mounted the Adaptive Reef controller board to the slide-out panel.
Thanks. Cable management was one of my big concerns with this build. The cables and power bricks can get out of control really quick, and I didn't want just a big spaghetti mess of wires all over the place. The controller board worked out nice, I'm pretty happy with it. I holds all the power bricks and has enough open areas to allow for ventilation so nothing seems to be getting too hot.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back