Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to use limewater for alkalinity consumption, but was using sea Chem alk liquid to make daily adjustments.

ran out of seachem, picked up Red Sea foundation liquid, when I use it, it’s a 150 gallon tank, I usually go a few drops at a time near a power head, and with seachem I got a cloud of smoke. Now with this Red Sea two part, I get some of the cloud, but more dandruff looking particles.

what is this, and is it harmful if it hits corals or fish? I place it near an mp60, however by the time it gets sucked into the intake and blown out, 3-4 seconds, it is still in this cloud /dandruff state and no doubt hits some live stock.

thank you

Corals.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is likely magnesium hydroxide which precipitates with any high pH additive. It should redissolve, but if not you may need to change the way you dose it.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is likely magnesium hydroxide which precipitates with any high pH additive. It should redissolve, but if not you may need to change the way you dose it.
Just to get level up to where I need it to bed, i I dose drop by drop into top of tank with a pipette . Is this stuff , mag hydroxide harmful of it hits a coral 3-4 seconds after being introduced into the water? Is it like as if you were adding salt mix indisolved to tank?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to get level up to where I need it to bed, i I dose drop by drop into top of tank with a pipette . Is this stuff , mag hydroxide harmful of it hits a coral 3-4 seconds after being introduced into the water? Is it like as if you were adding salt mix indisolved to tank?

I would not want it landing on delicate organisms. The local pH will be fairly high under it.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not want it landing on delicate organisms. The local pH will be fairly high under it.
The mag flakes would have high ph localized?

that’s l not good if that’s the case, really no place to put it where it can stall or mix more than 4-5 seconds before dissipating

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mag flakes would have high ph localized?

that’s l not good if that’s the case, really no place to put it where it can stall or mix more than 4-5 seconds before dissipating

Let's be clear. The term Mag flake applies to flake magnesium chloride sold as Mag flakes. It has no pH effect.

The magnesium hydroxide precipitate in the aquarium will have an elevated pH around it as it dissolves because it is releasing hydroxide.

Do you see it settling out?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's be clear. The term Mag flake applies to flake magnesium chloride sold as Mag flakes. It has no pH effect.

The magnesium hydroxide precipitate in the aquarium will have an elevated pH around it as it dissolves because it is releasing hydroxide.

Do you see it settling out?
Understood , two different animals as far as magnesium goes.
As far as settling out, I have a lot of flow in the tank, and I see them suspended for 6-7 seconds or so before disappearing, with all that flow I doubt they are settling at the bottom, so my thought would be yes , it settles or remixes into the water, it’s just that 5 second window before they disappear if what they’re hitting I’m worried about .

To show the amount I’m talking about, I use a 3 ml pipette, and drip it at the top of the tank near the power heads, over the course of 15 seconds or so, so figure 1 ml, or 15-20 drops, in 5 seconds or so

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back