Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a RS170, it has a red valve. The problem I having which I thought they solved with this valve, is the water level in the overflow is not consistent. My concern is because it is not consistent the level in my pump chamber, my ATO will not be consistent either. Anybody have any solutions with their systems.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make very small (like 1/8" to 1/4" turns), then wait 3-5 minutes for the changes to take effect. You want a water level just below your emergency overflow pipe.
I don't know whats going on. It will be steady for a bit and when I come back for lunch, completely different height. I took the valve apart and made sure it was clean. I am running a brand new vectra s2, I think that maybe the issue. I think maybe the pump is just breaking in and becoming more efficient. It's a theory anyway.

Corals.com

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know whats going on. It will be steady for a bit and when I come back for lunch, completely different height. I took the valve apart and made sure it was clean. I am running a brand new vectra s2, I think that maybe the issue. I think maybe the pump is just breaking in and becoming more efficient. It's a theory anyway.
Nah, don't think the pump break-in is your problem. I have a Red Sea Reefer XL 300 G2 and it does the same thing. I swear it's a full time job making sure the pump chamber in the sump doesn't run out of water and the skimmer doesn't overflow because of the varying levels.

You want to fix it for good? Get rid of the red valve. I'm going to install a gate valve or something because what's happening is that the red valve has a rubber flat piece inside. Of you adjust clockwise, it deslcreases flow by pushing inward in the center. More flow, then it goes outward. Except food and other detritus gets on the robber and stops flow so you're adjusting constantly. It's a pain in the butt.

I love my Red Sea tank, but I hate that valve and the Red Sea skimmer 300.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, don't think they pump break in is your problem. I have a Red Sea Reefer XL 300 G2 and it does the same thing. I swear it's a full time job making sure the pump chamber in the sump doesn't run out of water and the skimmer doesn't overflow because of the varying levels.

You want to fix it for good? Get rid of the red valve. I'm going to install a gate valve or something because what's happening is that the red valve has a rubber flat piece inside. Of you adjust clockwise, it deslcreases flow by pushing inward in the center. More flow, then it goes outward. Except food and other detritus gets on the robber and stops flow so you're adjusting constantly. It's a pain in the butt.

I love my Red Sea tank, but I hate that valve and the Red Sea skimmer 300.
I was going to switch it out... But I fell for the "new and improved" red one. I don't see a way the ato will be consistent. unless the new Red Sea ATO is magic....

chipchipmofo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yeah..
"buy the red valve and everything will be ok" they said.... Ok so done.. NOTHING changed....
I am constantly trying to get a stable waterlevel.. One day its gurgling because the emergency overflow gets hit and the other day its gurgling because the waterlevel is so low in the overflow box.

So, now.. is it the valve or is it the return pump just having different amounts of power from time to time?

I dont know how Red Sea could create such a bad valve? Everyone I ask has this issues.... Its just a pain

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yeah..
"buy the red valve and everything will be ok" they said.... Ok so done.. NOTHING changed....
I am constantly trying to get a stable waterlevel.. One day its gurgling because the emergency overflow gets hit and the other day its gurgling because the waterlevel is so low in the overflow box.

So, now.. is it the valve or is it the return pump just having different amounts of power from time to time?

I dont know how Red Sea could create such a bad valve? Everyone I ask has this issues.... Its just a pain

THIS EXACTLY. I chase both on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times a day. It's either too high or low in the overflow or too high or low in the return chamber. It's going to be a PITA to switch it out, but I'm going to.

@TangerineSpeedo I forgot to add, I'm using the same return pump that you are. It isn't the pump for sure. Mines brand new and I've had it out and cleaned it thoroughly already as the tank is only 6 months old. I've recalibrated the pump asked on flow, etc.

chipchipmofo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS EXACTLY. I chase both on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times a day. It's either too high or low in the overflow or too high or low in the return chamber. It's going to be a PITA to switch it out, but I'm going to.

@TangerineSpeedo I forgot to add, I'm using the same return pump that you are. It isn't the pump for sure. Mines brand new and I've had it out and cleaned it thoroughly already as the tank is only 6 months old. I've recalibrated the pump asked on flow, etc.
Well yeah.. I am also running a very quality return pump, the AquaBee UP 5000.. I cant imagine its the pump though.
When you do the seitch, please let me know HOW! Im so bad at plumping and doing stuff like this....

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yeah.. I am also running a very quality return pump, the AquaBee UP 5000.. I cant imagine its the pump though.
When you do the seitch, please let me know HOW! Im so bad at plumping and doing stuff like this....
Well you have it easy, because you are from Switzerland. You just need a Gate valve, some pipe and some elbows in metric. In the states it is all imperial. so we need an adapter

Avast

chipchipmofo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you have it easy, because you are from Switzerland. You just need a Gate valve, some pipe and some elbows in metric. In the states it is all imperial. so we need an adapter
Well even that is too much for me. Im an absolute desaster in doing works like that. Ive got two left hands though.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what we have to do, Probably about a $100ish bucks with the spears valve.

Nutramar Foods

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 red sea tanks one a 170 with the old valve and 300g2 with the red valve. The 300 with the red valve has been running for six weeks and I've only had to adjust it 3 times. The black one has been running for a few years and I rarely have to adjust it. I run jebao DC pumps that have 1% adjustments and fine tune there after making initial adjustments at the valve. I like to wait longer than 10 minutes for adjustments to settle in
Flow also effects the level. When my power heads go into nutrient transport the slosh causes the water to raise and go down the emergency which is a little noisy but I just ignore it or I'll be adjusting all day long. Now I just look for bubbles which means something is amuck in the return chamber or I hear the emergency drain which is pretty loud on the 170, not so much on the 300 as it's a larger pipe. If there are no bubbles and I don't hear water going down the emergency drain I don't lift the lid and look. I have a hunch I would go nuts if I tried to keep it at one exact height. I've read quite a few times of people putting in a gate valve and not really making much difference.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did hate my Red Sea red gate valve. It is going to fluctuate no matter what.

What I did to resolve this is to adjust the flow where it's trickling into the emergency overflow. No more adjustments or gurgling sound after that.

1680872650968.png

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did hate my Red Sea red gate valve. It is going to fluctuate no matter what.

What I did to resolve this is to adjust the flow where it's trickling into the emergency overflow. No more adjustments or gurgling sound after that.

View attachment 3099624
On my IM with a Eshopps Prodigy I have it so it also just trickles into my E-drain. That tank is rock solid. On my RS170, I have to do this to get almost steady. But even then still it moves.
Personally I wouldn’t care how much it moved if it didn’t affect the ATO chamber so much, which is my real concern. I also heard of ppl. switching out to a gate valve with the same issues. So I guess that leads to some new questions. Did they switch to a spears gate or a generic or a ball valve. Or is it in the Red Sea overflow design itself with the double tube to quiet the flow?

Nutramar Foods
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
LA
Back