Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got red algea starting to collect in my refugium.needed to know if i should clean it out or let it ride.i have zero nitraites and my ph is 8.3 and everything is thriving.

1468873759936408625001.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will probably come and go. Don't sweat it. That Chato should start to eat up all the food soon.
Depending on your flow you could get some more various macros to help pull more nutrients out too.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the setup? As @saltyfilmfolks stated give it 2 the three weeks and if it does not start to go away, start to consider dosing carbon of some type . I have been fighting both green hair and red slim algae for the past two months and tried several methods. I am dosing bio pellets and when I do my 10% weekly water change my red slim almost goes away.

OP
OP
Paulski510

Paulski510

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.i started the tank 5 years ago.the sump, i just replaced with a divided sump with a refugium probley 2 months ago.i change 10gals a week. i used to run a phosphate reactor but took it down after i started the refugium.the display tank will have a small bit of algea but not alot.im still learning, every bit of info is appreciated.

OP
OP
Paulski510

Paulski510

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will probably come and go. Don't sweat it. That Chato should start to eat up all the food soon.
Depending on your flow you could get some more various macros to help pull more nutrients out too.

I have very little flow down in the sump.ive read on here that alot of flow is not good in a refugium

Nutramar Foods

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very little flow down in the sump.ive read on here that alot of flow is not good in a refugium
thats a good point. I dont know the exact number for turnover in the sump. but like a tank you need enough to let the bacteria breathe, plus enough to let the chato breathe too.
I do know most folks running a passive refugium(run on main return) are running from 5x turnover to 10x turnover. 10 being high.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure the turn over but i do know my chato grows like crazy and there are so many critters down there enjoying life.thanks for the info
thats the big one, if the chato is doing well, your good. it just may take some time to come up to full strength. If the opportunity arises, you may want to try a couple other lower flow macros in there like dragons tounge or a calurpa.
Glad I could help.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Paulski510

Paulski510

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats the big one, if the chato is doing well, your good. it just may take some time to come up to full strength. If the opportunity arises, you may want to try a couple other lower flow macros in there like dragons tounge or a calurpa.
Glad I could help.

Thanks ill give it a try.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Inkbird
Back