recommend me bare bones budget testing kit/combo. . .

BRS

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am bad. . . I don't own a test kit other than my Hanna Salinity checker (that I don't entirely trust). . . otherwise I just test at the LFS. . . but now that I want to become a serious reefer I think I should get some tests. . . so what should I buy, can I buy a pack or set of them?

Thinking pH, Nitrate, Phosphate, for sure. . . what else is a MUST HAVE to get into the "serious reefer" club?

Nutramar Foods

Acros

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hanna works well for alk, ulr phosphorus, nitrate high range. I use Red Sea for Mag and Calcium.

No point in testing ph unless you can get a continuous ph monitor. So essentially a controller or one of the Milwaukee ph meters.

If you are to get one test kit, get the Hanna alk.

Top Shelf Aquatics

jkcoral

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hannah checkers are the coolest new thing, and many here will (rightfully) recommend several of them.

For an effective and cheaper option, look at Salifert test kits. I always have them handy and they are great for the price.

AquaCave Logo Banner

mjw011689

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomato tomato… you’re asking a question that’s gonna get a million different answers. The right answer (between Red Sea and Salifert) is get the one you personally can see the color differences better. They’re gonna be really close in accuracy, the bigger issue is some people can’t differentiate certain colors on the charts the same as others can. Neither option will give you readings that are way off. Neither option will give you readings that are dead on 100% lab accurate either. But they put you in a spot where you can use your judgement. If your calcium is reading 415 but might be a +/- 15ppm, does it really matter? You know you’re close to where it needs to be. Same with nitrates. Is there really a difference between 8 or 12? Probably not, but if you know you’re close, that’s all that really matters for the most part.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why buy nitrite and ammonia? You’ll more or less never use them. If your tank is already cycled, there’s no need for those two
I don't want them, but wanted the other tests in that kit. . . but now that I look at it that still doesn't include phosphate. . . looks like no matter which route I take I will need to piece it together. . . ugggh.

Aaron75

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want them, but wanted the other tests in that kit. . . but now that I look at it that still doesn't include phosphate. . . looks like no matter which route I take I will need to piece it together. . . ugggh.
Amazon has a Salifert Master Kit for $100

mjw011689

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always just bought them separate. For the record, even the Salifert master kit is not an actual kit. It comes out roughly the same price to buy them all individually, so definitely more convenient to just grab the kit that Amazon has for 99.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What level of precision needed? API Reef kit might be sufficient. I don’t bother with ammonia or nitrite post cycle and at the moment don’t need precision. Plus my test tank is extremely stable since I don’t perform WCs and parameters rarely shift to the point it’s mature enough I let nuisance algae alert me to when I need to test and otherwise just enjoy the life in it. Is a test tank so take that with a grain of salt and my main build will rely on monthly ICP tests because then I’ll need extra precision yet I’ll still use the API since I just need to confirm no major shifts between tests and to ensure my dosing is working properly. No WC will be performed either

EricR

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal opinion but my vote, in order of importance, for the soft corals in your build thread would be:
1. Phosphate
2. Nitrate
3. Alkalinity

I use Hanna for all those but I'm color blind.
I use Salifert for (and just get help with colors) for Calcium and Magnesium.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally opinion but my vote, in order of importance, for the soft corals in your build thread would be:
1. Phosphate
2. Nitrate
3. Alkalinity

I use Hanna for all those but I'm color blind.
I use Salifert for (and just get help with colors) for Calcium and Magnesium.
Most my corals are SPS and LPS now haha

Dbichler

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most my corals are SPS and LPS now haha
Still would be the three most important. But you probably want cal and mag then just to double check with your alk levels

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will go with the Red Sea. . . I will have to buy 2 kits to get everything I want and will get a few "extras" I wasn't really after (namely nitrite and ammonia) but they look pretty nice and easy to read. . .
Red Sea mag is a pain to run... Get Salifert for that (at least)

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back