Recent Soda Ash Change

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

spsick

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys can we please look into what’s going on with the Soda Ash lately?

Ive been using the product since Ryan sold me a bag and a maxi mod out of his garage. When the switch to Pharma happened it mixed up cleaner and faster. As of late it is a huge pita to mix! While I appreciate CS effort to maintain a happy customer by just sending a new bag when I asked about it. I tried to resolve through email but I got the feeling it would not be looked into.

Every bag (7lb) I’ve cracked since buying a handful on Black Friday including the new ones sent does not mix up well without aggressive heating AND shaking.

Literally nothing has changed in the way I mix the product in 10 years. I feel like the raw material vendor was subbed or something.

Here’s another thread about the same concern:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I have noticed this also. Past 2 gallons I mixed when poured into my dosing container had chunks at the bottom and it was mixed no different than the last 20 times I’ve mixed it and didn’t have chunks.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys can we please look into what’s going on with the Soda Ash lately?

Ive been using the product since Ryan sold me a bag and a maxi mod out of his garage. When the switch to Pharma happened it mixed up cleaner and faster. As of late it is a huge pita to mix! While I appreciate CS effort to maintain a happy customer by just sending a new bag when I asked about it. I tried to resolve through email but I got the feeling it would not be looked into.

Every bag (7lb) I’ve cracked since buying a handful on Black Friday including the new ones sent does not mix up well without aggressive heating AND shaking.

Literally nothing has changed in the way I mix the product in 10 years. I feel like the raw material vendor was subbed or something.

Here’s another thread about the same concern:

I haven't heard about any raw material suppliers changing and personally haven't noticed my Soda Ash mixing differently on my personal aquariums. But let me gather some more info just to be sure and I'll report back when I know more

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard about any raw material suppliers changing and personally haven't noticed my Soda Ash mixing differently on my personal aquariums. But let me gather some more info just to be sure and I'll report back when I know more

Awesome thanks for looking into it.

DeeBee

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is completely different in the way it looks and mixes. Far fluffier looking than it used to be and doesn't mix worth a darn, regardless of water temp.

Here is another thread about it:
PXL_20230212_175806517.jpg

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is completely different in the way it looks and mixes. Far fluffier looking than it used to be and doesn't mix worth a darn, regardless of water temp.

Here is another thread about it:
Interesting. I haven’t found the consistency to be any different. Dense and fine powder but very poor mixing. Even when mixing in increments with prewarmed water as customer service suggested.

I’ve always mixed with cold RODI water by pouring in the full amount and it mixed up great. Now most of it solidifies into small chunks that look like hail and it’s super hard to mix. Like it takes an hour of repeated heating the jug in a hot water bath and shaking.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard back from our purchasing team after some digging into some lot numbers and other info. We have not had a supplier change for our Soda Ash raw materials within the last year and a half and the lot number for the raw materials has been the same lot number for the past ~8 months.

One thing that could be hindering the mixing for some people is the temperature of the RO/DI water being used. Especially for those in cold weather areas, if you're mixing using RO/DI water just produced, the temperature of the water is probably many degrees lower than room temp and lead to challenges getting everything to dissolve into solution.

As Randy Holmes-Farley mentioned in one of those threads linked here, floating the jug in some HOT water can really really help with the dissolving of the Soda Ash powder (or any powder you're mixing, for that matter).

With all of that said, I don't want to ignore the issues that some reefers are reporting here, so if I come across any new information that could help explain anything reported, I'll absolutely follow up here again.

DeeBee

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard back from our purchasing team after some digging into some lot numbers and other info. We have not had a supplier change for our Soda Ash raw materials within the last year and a half and the lot number for the raw materials has been the same lot number for the past ~8 months.

One thing that could be hindering the mixing for some people is the temperature of the RO/DI water being used. Especially for those in cold weather areas, if you're mixing using RO/DI water just produced, the temperature of the water is probably many degrees lower than room temp and lead to challenges getting everything to dissolve into solution.

As Randy Holmes-Farley mentioned in one of those threads linked here, floating the jug in some HOT water can really really help with the dissolving of the Soda Ash powder (or any powder you're mixing, for that matter).

With all of that said, I don't want to ignore the issues that some reefers are reporting here, so if I come across any new information that could help explain anything reported, I'll absolutely follow up here again.

Appreciate the research and reply. Like some of the other users, I have been using BRS Soda Ash for many years (pre-Pharma grade). I've never had an issue with it mixing regardless of how cold the temperature is. My water is now usually around 70 degrees, which I consider to be pretty warm, and it still clumps up. For me it happened first in a batch that I received in late November 2022.

The good news is that it doesn't seem to have any negative effects on the tank, but certainly takes far more effort to mix.

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using the product and did have a hard time with chunks at the bottom of the container. I just didn't have a reference so thought it was normal. I will be mixing a new batch this weekend
Ok I just mixed up a new batch
IMG_20230424_183733592.jpg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

LA
Back