Real world experience with .75 inch glass?

Ecotech Marine

Zero_Cool

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to hear real world experience regarding powerheads and .75 inch glass.

Tank will have .75 inch glass. I have (2) Ecotech MP40MQD and (2) Maxspect XF350. Pump specs say max glass thickness of .75 inch.

For those of you with either pump and similar glass thickness is this just marketing or is this factual?

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second battle corals, 3/4s is like the upper threshold of magnets. mP40s and frag racks and things like that barely hold. mP60 and xf350 hold great for me. It's sturdy as heck though. I have no deflection anywhere on a 10x3x2

DanyL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded to my current 0.75" glass tank I had the very same problem, I had to upgrade everything around that used magnets.

I've researched this topic extensively, and while I don't have an answer about the Ecotech, I do know that the Maxspect XF350 magnets are too weak for to hold firmly and they official suggestion from Maxspect was to purchase another set of magnets to make it stronger.

I eventually settled with the ReefWave 45 from Red Sea which were designed for their 750 Reefer that comes with 0.75" glass and it was a perfect fit for the task.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a visit to KJ Magnetics, I’ve had good luck increasing the size of the external magnetic, for overloaded coral racks. BTW Some Magnetic Glass cleaners, will not work, the Poles don’t line up with the interior magnet. IE, it will push the interior magnet away.

Nutramar Foods

ReefSakes

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mp40s on 3/4" glass. I found that that earlier gets don't hold well but the newer generations holds fine. Just make sure you use the mounting tape for the wires in case they come apart and your dry side don't drop to ground.

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mp40s on 3/4" glass. I found that that earlier gets don't hold well but the newer generations holds fine. Just make sure you use the mounting tape for the wires in case they come apart and your dry side don't drop to ground.
Thank you. Excellent advise regarding the dry side cord management.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a visit to KJ Magnetics, I’ve had good luck increasing the size of the external magnetic, for overloaded coral racks. BTW Some Magnetic Glass cleaners, will not work, the Poles don’t line up with the interior magnet. IE, it will push the interior magnet away.
This. I use the KJ stuff when I need a proper seal (plastic coated) for in water applications. For the dry side stuff I just use these and stack as needed.

Screenshot_20230114-111003.png

AquaCave Logo Banner

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded to my current 0.75" glass tank I had the very same problem, I had to upgrade everything around that used magnets.

I've researched this topic extensively, and while I don't have an answer about the Ecotech, I do know that the Maxspect XF350 magnets are too weak for to hold firmly and they official suggestion from Maxspect was to purchase another set of magnets to make it stronger.

I eventually settled with the ReefWave 45 from Red Sea which were designed for their 750 Reefer that comes with 0.75" glass and it was a perfect fit for the task.
My XF350 holds great fwiw!

And I second the rec on cable holders for dry sides (I use heavy duty Velcro). I almost broke my sump and also lost an mP60 dry side to it falling off

DanyL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My XF350 holds great fwiw!

And I second the rec on cable holders for dry sides (I use heavy duty Velcro). I almost broke my sump and also lost an mP60 dry side to it falling off
Interesting!

Are you running them anywhere near their full capacity?
If so, is it directed forward only or with reversed phases as well?

I really wanted to buy them over the Red Sea because I had a great deal for them, but what I've heard was that in some specific situations it can literally fall off if additional external magnets aren't used.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting!

Are you running them anywhere near their full capacity?
If so, is it directed forward only or with reversed phases as well?

I really wanted to buy them over the Red Sea because I had a great deal for them, but what I've heard was that in some specific situations it can literally fall off if additional external magnets aren't used.
Not full capacity I only do like 40% but they feel pretty solid (moreso than my mp40s which hav fallen off), and I run forward and reversed phase.

DanyL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, I wonder if they upgraded the magnets since then or wether it really depends on the speed they're running at.
For compression I run the ReefWaves at around 80%, and it doesn't budge, so I generally satisfied with it.

On another topic, I wonder what frag shelves are you all using?
I have one large chamber in my sump dedicated for frags (and an actual frag tank on the way), however I find it hard to slowly acclimate new corals to high PAR areas without a shelf that can actually hold up.
I have the tried using the Reefing Art shelve which supposedly works on 0.75" glass, but it doesn't sit well and slowly falls off when I put some weight on it.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Hanna
Back