Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if there was any Salinity testing equipment that actively reads Salinity in real-time, I use the Hanna Salinity Checker which I really enjoy but sometimes I get the feeling that it's not as accurate as a Refractometer.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Big E

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Pinpoint Salinity monitor can be used full time. I had one that lasted at least 15 years for me. I didn't use it full time in line but would use it as a check and balance for my refractometer.

I liked that it was portable and not rigidly set into one system. This allowed me to check mixed saltwater as well as multiple tanks.

Nutramar Foods

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if there was any Salinity testing equipment that actively reads Salinity in real-time, I use the Hanna Salinity Checker which I really enjoy but sometimes I get the feeling that it's not as accurate as a Refractometer.
Most aquarium controllers have salinity monitoring.

I use a GHL Profilux, another is the Neptune Apex, and Reeffactory have one too.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real time salinity monitors are conductivity meters. Same thing as a TDS meter, but designed for the right range for full strength seawater.

Whether any particular hobby brand implements it optimally or not, conductivity meters are the go to way for chemical oceanographers to measure salinity. It can be fast, highly accurate and highly precise.

That said, despite having some very good conductivity meters, I never wanted to leave the probe in the water 24/7 due to potential issues like fouling with organisms/precipitates/bubbles.

Avast
OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Reef Factory have an active salinity monitor but it's price is getting bumped up. Still worth it.
|
1674877175574.png

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tropic Marin USA
Back