Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a random flow generator to my 14g IM Penninsula tank and it appears to be dropping my PH. I was running the dual head with both heads pointing at the surface creating a lot of surface agitation. Since I’ve added the random flow generator, My corals look super happy, everything looks better than it did before, but my PH seems to have dropped from 8.0 to 7.7. I am using the salifert tests. Testing PH frequently before it always hovered around 8.0. Now it is sitting at 7.7 every time I test. The RFG is providing some surface agitation every 4 seconds or so. Anyone else notice a PH drop after adding an RFG?

Top Shelf Aquatics

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing your pH at the same time every day? (you will see a high/low swing in pH over a 24-hour period) I can't see how the RFG would change your pH since it sounds like you're still getting surface agitation and you mention everything has improved.

OP
OP
Not woodyarmadillo

Not woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing your pH at the same time every day? (you will see a high/low swing in pH over a 24-hour period) I can't see how the RFG would change your pH since it sounds like you're still getting surface agitation and you mention everything has improved.
Yes I am. I tested at the same time and different times as well. Could be a coincidence but I’ve never seen my PH below 8.0. The salifert test kit goes from 7.7 to 8.0 so it’s not super precise. I’ll try another testing kit maybe.

Corals.com

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all know gas exchange is very beneficial to the system but as for installing a random flow generator it's not going to drop your pH.

Try opening up a couple windows in the house and get some fresh air in and see if that helps which it always does.

If you think the rfg is the problem then point it up slightly to get more surface agitation going and if it's not randomizing normally then pull it off and get a small round type of pipe cleaner brush that some companies include in their protein skimmers and whatnot for cleaning. I find if you get a little bit of build up inside the nozzle and especially if a small piece of food gets in one of the intake ducts behind the nozzle that would be enough to slow down the randomization of flow.

I take mine off once a week during general maintenance and give them a little cleaning on the inside and out and pop them back on and they randomize like crazy afterwards.

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps your tank was not well circulated before and now that it is the CO2 in your room is entering the water more readily.
I agree with that one, it's amazing how much CO2 can build up in a room with just a couple people or your pets in the room all contributing to the CO2.

If so he has some place he can drop in an air stone where he doesn't get any bubbles in his DT then that would definitely help raise the pH.

I sometimes have lower pH readings and all I do is lift my canopy up a little bit and open the storm door and lifts the screen door window up a little bit and open up a bedroom window and that gets nice flow of outside air inside the house. I can leave my probe in the water and watch it start climbing ever so gently.

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correlation does not equal causation
There's so many variables going on this time of year,, like where does OP live, is he in Canada like me where it's still cold enough that you can't leave your windows open. So that could be both correct.

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's so many variables going on this time of year,, like where does OP live, is he in Canada like me where it's still cold enough that you can't leave your windows open. So that could be both correct.

I think especially with pH since it can vary drastically day to day depending on things you mentioned and what not

World Wide Corals

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increased aeration can raise or lower pH, and may even drive it different directions at different times of the day. It always tends to drive pH toward the equilibrium that would result if that air and water were completely equilibrated, which may be higher or lower than the current tank pH.

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increased aeration can raise or lower pH, and may even drive it different directions at different times of the day. It always tends to drive pH toward the equilibrium that would result if that air and water were completely equilibrated, which may be higher or lower than the current tank pH.
Okay think of this scenario, stick it cheap little air pump out the window where it gets fresh air and stick an air stone into the tank and I'm sure the pH will raise would it not, or am I missing something here?

I know what you're saying as it can either go up or down because if the room has high levels of CO2 and you're forcing air into the tank with an air stone I can see the points that it could definitely lower the pH. Am I heading in the right direction there with your posted comment?

Jared Bryant

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay think of this scenario, stick it cheap little air pump out the window where it gets fresh air and stick an air stone into the tank and I'm sure the pH will raise would it not, or am I missing something here?

I know what you're saying as it can either go up or down because if the room has high levels of CO2 and you're forcing air into the tank with an air stone I can see the points that it could definitely lower the pH. Am I heading in the right direction there with your posted comment?
Too messy and salt creep would build up. Just run a line outside to your skimmer air intake.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back