+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I added a pistol shrimp to my 47 gal tank 1 week ago and added a small Randall goby 2 days ago. I have not seen the goby nor the shrimp since they were added. Should I be worried or is this normal.
Thank you!

IMG_3196.jpeg

Corals.com

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I added a pistol shrimp to my 47 gal tank 1 week ago and added a small Randall goby 2 days ago. I have not seen the goby nor the shrimp since they were added. Should I be worried or is this normal.
Thank you!

View attachment 3139176
Amblyeleotris are fish that are super cryptic on their own, and having a pistol as its pair makes it even more cryptic. They will usually make one or two good holes and make a home out of them. These guys are known for disappearing for months on end, especially once newly added to a system. Something you could do if your worried about the goby starving is target feeding the area or hole you believe they are in.

Nutramar Foods

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello
Thank you!

View attachment 3139176
Perfectly normal. They will excavate and set their burrows before you see them again. Check after lights out if you can.

OP
OP
Ariel'sMom

Ariel'sMom

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amblyeleotris are fish that are super cryptic on their own, and having a pistol as its pair makes it even more cryptic. They will usually make one or two good holes and make a home out of them. These guys are known for disappearing for months on end, especially once newly added to a system. Something you could do if your worried about the goby starving is target feeding the area or hole you believe they are in.
Thank you! I’ll try that. The goby is so small. I can’t believe I haven’t seen since placing in the tank.

OP
OP
Ariel'sMom

Ariel'sMom

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfectly normal. They will excavate and set their burrows before you see them again. Check after lights out if you can.
I just tried that. Nothing…but will keep looking! On the positive side, I took a nice pic of my starfish while searching. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3199.jpeg
    IMG_3199.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 6
Top Shelf Aquatics

Superd513

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pistol too and want to get a goby. I read that they will honeymoon for a long time then the goby come out for food and the shrimp can live on goby’s poop. Lol I know gross but that’s what they do. They won’t leave lair very much.

Bennett_Reefing

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Thank you!

View attachment 3139176
With my yellow goby and pistol it almost took a week for them to find eachother and make a hole. I actually used a little medicine cup a use for there food and captured the goby in it and put him under the rock I saw the shrimp go into and they immediately started a hole. Take in consideration the gody is only about a inch long.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Superd513

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the 2 of them this morning! They made a little burrow and seem to be doing everything I was hoping for! Thanks for the advice
I can’t wait to get a goby. My mushroom freaked me out this morning. It shrank up to nothing. I thought it was dead. I turned the lights on and it open up some. I thought something was wrong with it because I fed them last night before I went to bed and then I turn the moon lights on.
I think he’s OK he’s super fluorescent colors are beautiful so I would think if he was sick or something he wouldn’t look so good I guess I just have to wait. I’m stuck at work for the next 12 hours. I want to put a camera on the front of my tank and hook it up to the Internet so I can check in on them lol.

Superd513

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t wait to get a goby. My mushroom freaked me out this morning. It shrank up to nothing. I thought it was dead. I turned the lights on and it open up some. I thought something was wrong with it because I fed them last night before I went to bed and then I turn the moon lights on.
I think he’s OK he’s super fluorescent colors are beautiful so I would think if he was sick or something he wouldn’t look so good I guess I just have to wait. I’m stuck at work for the next 12 hours. I want to put a camera on the front of my tank and hook it up to the Internet so I can check in on them lol.
IMG_0548.jpeg
IMG_0549.jpeg
IMG_0550.jpeg
IMG_0551.jpeg
IMG_0543.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0519.jpeg
    IMG_0519.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0519.jpeg
    IMG_0519.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 6
Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral Frenzy
Back