Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please be aware that this product is most likely a mix of sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate. The 8.3 pH is false advertising as the pH boost/buffering is only temporary. Your pH is driven by CO2 in your system...which is greatly impacted by the CO2 levels in your home...which are usually elevated...which drive down your pH. Additionally, this is unbalanced dosing...and I wouldn't recommend that. I would only use this product if I needed to increase Alk independently of my other parameters.

Top Shelf Aquatics

DanyL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally, this is unbalanced dosing...and I wouldn't recommend that. I would only use this product if I needed to increase Alk independently of my other parameters.
This only applies if you were using an all in one solution like AFR.
Otherwise, it should be used in place of another alk supplement as part of a balling system.

OP
OP
WildReefGuy

WildReefGuy

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please be aware that this product is most likely a mix of sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate. The 8.3 pH is false advertising as the pH boost/buffering is only temporary. Your pH is driven by CO2 in your system...which is greatly impacted by the CO2 levels in your home...which are usually elevated...which drive down your pH. Additionally, this is unbalanced dosing...and I wouldn't recommend that. I would only use this product if I needed to increase Alk independently of my other parameters.
Thank you! And yes that’s exactly what I was wanting to do my PH is at 8.15 which is great for me.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This only applies if you were using an all in one solution like AFR.
Otherwise, it should be used in place of another alk supplement as part of a balling system.

I don't think Brightwell 8.3 isn't designed to be a 2 part that you would find in a balling system. That would be there reef code a and b set.

DanyL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think Brightwell 8.3 isn't designed to be a 2 part that you would find in a balling system. That would be there reef code a and b set.
You are correct saying that not all 2-part are fully compatible with the balling system.
However, most do, at least on the alkalinity part, which does make them interchangeable with other 2-part methods.
And it is true that I usually and somewhat wrongfully call them all balling as a habit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be using that with a small tank. plus ur don't need ur alk high keep at 8

What would you use instead?

nothing_fancy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a decent product IMO for those of us that have stable cal and mag and aren't ready to take the step up to something like Kalk for instance. Someone mentioned AFR, I use this in conjunction with AFR and it works well without disturbing other parameters from what I can tell. I don't like using this product in large one shot doses. But If you're gonna dose like that, do it during the day or morning when alk consumption will start to go up. AFR keeps my cal and mag stable but my consumption of alk is greater than what AFR can handle so I dose alkalinity 8.3 several times during the day in 2mil doses (40g system)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all for reef or water changes . it depends on the coral load .

Why?

Water changes are always more expensive to supplement calcium and alk, unless you are already doing them for other reasons.

All for Reef is a fine product, but I'm not sure why it is better here.

hsosa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why?

Water changes are always more expensive to supplement calcium and alk, unless you are already doing them for other reasons.

All for Reef is a fine product, but I'm not sure why it is better here.
all for reef give s. u some elements . it depends on ur coral load . ive never used that 8.3 I have used all for reef on smaller tanks and it works good .

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all for reef give s. u some elements . it depends on ur coral load . ive never used that 8.3 I have used all for reef on smaller tanks and it works good .

I don't doubt it works well. So do lots of other products. It has drawbacks, however.

CLICK TO VIEW

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would u use ?

Depends on the nature of the tank, the potential for low pH from elevated CO2, and the importance of cost. The OP said nothing about these, so I can only answer generally.

For an occasional alk boost when no calcium is needed, I'd just use baking soda.

For regular dosing of both alk and calcium, then these:

If I had substantial low pH issues, I'd use kalkwasser and/or a DIY using sodium hydroxide/calcium chloride and TM Balling Part C.

If I had moderate low pH issues, I'd use kalkwasser and/or a DIY using sodium carbonate/calcium chloride and TM Balling Part C.

If I had no low pH issues, I'd use kalkwasser and/or a DIY using sodium bicarbonate/calcium chloride and TM Balling Part C.

DanyL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I use Sodium Bicarbonate for Alk, Calcium Chloride for Cal, and Magnesium Chloride in combination with Magnesium Sulfate for Mag.
When consumption rate became higher I also started to supplement traces with Red Sea ABCD as well.

I've been using this recipe (other than making it more concentrated) for 15 years with great success, and it scaled well from a 34gal nano to a 206gal SPS dominated system.

This, together with weekly water changes with fresh seawater diluted 1:4, it holds very well and it is rare for me to find any elements outside their recommended range with ICP tests.

However, a method that works for one does not necessary be the best for the other.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Champion Lighting & Supply
Back