+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys

I am willing to upgrade my AI Prime HD for a Radion.

However, I have to opportunity to pick up a g4 pro or a g5 blue.

I am a fan of blue tanks but usually I enjoy a full blue and fluorescent tank at night and during day I love a normal blueish look.

So what path would you guys go?

The g4 would be the one running with Mobius.

Please help me :)

Tank is a 18“ cube and SPS / Acro dominant.

Nutramar Foods
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
chipchipmofo

chipchipmofo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the look of bluer tanks go with the g5 blue. It’s much to blue for my taste but many people use and love them.
But the G4 Pro can also used „blue“ or am I wrong? I am using an AI Prime HD atm. Is it so much different?

lefkonj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G5 blue all the way. Replaced my AI Hydras with these and love it. Makes programming much easier and for the most part you turn down the whites so what is really the point. Lots of programming options but the Mobius AB+ is the 'Easy Button'

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 5 Radion XR15 G5 Blues, and to me they are not that blue. They are more focused on those that are looking at using the AB+ specturm, and thus, are able to get more par as a result.

A G4 Pro running the AB+ spectrum will have lower par readings than a G5 Blue running the AB+ because the G5 Blue has more blue leds.

2022 with filter.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make the gen 4 pro, blue too.
Just do a custom program.
I just got a xr15 pro ( would have preferred a non pro ).
I set my program up as the High Growth template.
Then one it showed up on the graph ( in ESL) I clicked on the 2 high points and changed the color to a 20k program.
Pretty easy using ESL on my computer.

Nutramar Foods

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 5 Radion XR15 G5 Blues, and to me they are not that blue. They are more focused on those that are looking at using the AB+ specturm, and thus, are able to get more par as a result.

A G4 Pro running the AB+ spectrum will have lower par readings than a G5 Blue running the AB+ because the G5 Blue has more blue leds.

View attachment 2543564
That’s a lot of light for a FOWLR system. Jkn. Tangs look great.

Acros

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have thought about trading my blue for pro (mostly out of curiosity). However I would be loosing two channels and as per reef builders, they see better color in SPS with the blues.

I also have not seen any tanks that run G5 pro in person. Hence don’t really know how different the look is.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about trading my blue for pro (mostly out of curiosity). However I would be loosing two channels and as per reef builders, they see better color in SPS with the blues.

I also have not seen any tanks that run G5 pro in person. Hence don’t really know how different the look is.

Do you run yours at 100% all channels w/ full intensity though? I'm in the same boat and am fairly confident that they way most of us run these lights (lower overall intensity) the Pro can be set to match the Blues.

AS

Acros

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you run yours at 100% all channels w/ full intensity though? I'm in the same boat and am fairly confident that they way most of us run these lights (lower overall intensity) the Pro can be set to match the Blues.
I run all channels at 100% (AB+ on G5 Blue) and overall intensity at 84%. Will finish ramping up to 90% by end of this month. Acros did just fine at 80%, but I am increasing par to get more light towards the edges.

My tank is new and had its own troubles. I can only definitely say if things work or not in about another 3-4 months.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run all channels at 100% (AB+ on G5 Blue) and overall intensity at 84%. Will finish ramping up to 90% by end of this month. Acros did just fine at 80%, but I am increasing par to get more light towards the edges.

My tank is new and had its own troubles. I can only definitely say if things work or not in about another 3-4 months.

How hot are your center "hot spots" as far as par? Part of the reason I ended up flipping mine parallel, couldn't get edge par without super high PAR in the center. I think 80% intensity is a sweet spot, which gives headroom in a Pro to balance.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back