Radion X30 G3 Died, Looking for a Suitable Replacement

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 3 XR30 G3s over my 180G tank. I don't have any demanding corals - just some leathers, zoas, ricordias, etc. One of the lights failed this weekend - will come on for about 10 seconds and then shut off. So I'm in search of a replacement, but I can't see spending a grand on a new Radion for the corals I have. I'm leaning towards the Kessil A360X or XE. Would three of those be adequate for my 6' long x 24" deep tank? I only ran the Radions at 55% max. Or any better recommendations? Thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with the par levels of the a360xe though I think its 15% more output than the a360x. What kinds of corals do you keep?

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m super happy with my two uno 2.0s
https://www.reefi-lab.com/reefi-uno-2-0-pro/
The spread on the uno’s isn't as good as the radion’s but the uno puts out a ton of light for the price (270 watts vs the radion 215 watts) I like my xr15 and xr30, but i would buy 2 reefi uno 2.0’s over one xr30 any day. You can just mount the uno’s higher to get more spread.

The Kessil 360 doesn’t have great spread, I mainly use it as a backlight for photos now.
The kessil app isn’t great compared to mobius and you have to buy a separate dongle to use the app. So I would only recommend it as a supplemental light.
The A360X is only 90 watts.
I think you would be pretty disappointed with the kessil after having a xr30.

I also hear a lot of great things about quanta lights.
https://www.quanta-lights.com/

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m super happy with my two uno 2.0s
https://www.reefi-lab.com/reefi-uno-2-0-pro/
The spread on the uno’s isn't as good as the radion’s but the uno puts out a ton of light for the price (270 watts vs the radion 215 watts) I like my xr15 and xr30, but i would buy 2 reefi uno 2.0’s over one xr30 any day. You can just mount the uno’s higher to get more spread.

The Kessil 360 doesn’t have great spread, I mainly use it as a backlight for photos now.
The kessil app isn’t great compared to mobius and you have to buy a separate dongle to use the app. So I would only recommend it as a supplemental light.
The A360X is only 90 watts.
I think you would be pretty disappointed with the kessil after having a xr30.

I also hear a lot of great things about quanta lights.
https://www.quanta-lights.com/

I have 4 of these over an 8ft mixed reef, I love them. Best Light on the Market IMO and HALF the price of new Radion's with a better (3 year) warranty.

I admit I haven’t been following the latest lights on the market, so I never heard of these. But they do look pretty good. Plus 2 of 3 replies recommend them…thanks!

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not familiar with the par levels of the a360xe though I think its 15% more output than the a360x. What kinds of corals do you keep?
Nothing fancy. Zoas, leathers, ricordias, mushrooms, and a few rock flower anemones.

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I’d grab a couple Blades and call it good. Very easy to mount, setup, and run.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 XR30 G3s over my 180G tank. I don't have any demanding corals - just some leathers, zoas, ricordias, etc. One of the lights failed this weekend - will come on for about 10 seconds and then shut off. So I'm in search of a replacement, but I can't see spending a grand on a new Radion for the corals I have. I'm leaning towards the Kessil A360X or XE. Would three of those be adequate for my 6' long x 24" deep tank? I only ran the Radions at 55% max. Or any better recommendations? Thanks!
G3 are still repairable if you want to go that route. That way you don't have to upgrade all lights.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing fancy. Zoas, leathers, ricordias, mushrooms, and a few rock flower anemones.

They should be fine then. I really like kessils and if you end up needing more lighting you can always toss another on or add some strip lights.

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
G3 are still repairable if you want to go that route. That way you don't have to upgrade all lights.
That is a good idea. But I still want to at least get something to fill in while the radion gets repaired. So maybe I’ll start with one Uno light and then I will be able to make sure I like it.

Do you know who repairs radions?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, I ordered a single Uno 2.1 Pro last night. Now I’m wondering if I should have ordered a DC extension cable too. I can’t find any info on the website regarding what length cable is included with the light. Can someone who has one of these lights tell me what the cable length is?

bobnicaragua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run UNO 2.0s. I’ve been happy with mine. It’s nice to have all the power you want.

You’ll probably want to change to the wider lens if only running 3 over a 180 gal.

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run UNO 2.0s. I’ve been happy with mine. It’s nice to have all the power you want.

You’ll probably want to change to the wider lens if only running 3 over a 180 gal.
I plan to use the 120 degree lens - sound right?

My plan is to install this Uno in place of the bad radion, and compare the new light with the other radions. Then I will decide whether to try to get the bad radion fixed or just replace the other 2 with more Unos. I'm not unhappy with the radions, but I've never been able to get my reeflink to work, so no wireless control. And I can't get all 3 lights on the same group - I have to program 1 light and then the other 2. It's kind of a pain, but not horrible.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit I haven’t been following the latest lights on the market, so I never heard of these. But they do look pretty good. Plus 2 of 3 replies recommend them…thanks!

Another vote for reefi - it's hard to do better for the money. Plus most lights only come with a 1 year warranty.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back