Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Ice Cap 36xl sump. There is a drain/sock tray after the return section. This results in a 4 inch fall of the water from the tray to the water level in the sump. The noise is driving me nuts.

I have one of the openings covered and a sock in the other. See image:
20230418_134559.jpg

I have a Klir 7 fleece roller to add as well.

I could raise the sump water level another 1.5 inches but would then have to raise the skimmer as well.

Looking for ideas to quiet the noise. Thank you.

Nutramar Foods

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to visualize what you're talking about but right now all I can do is assume what it actually looks like.

Is it like a waterfall going from one compartment into the next? And if so you can always get some filter pad and drape it over so it's basically trickles its way down to where it's splashing and making noise.

And if you raise the water level up 1.5 in can't you just adjust the skimmer to compensate for the higher water level?

Like I said I'm trying to visualize what's going on, I would just raise the water level up and adjust the skimmer accordingly if able to and if not I just put something under the skimmer to lift it up and see how that works.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20230418_163009_Gallery.jpg

The water drains into a chamber to the left of the tray. This drain chamber is 12 inches deep. Water then flows out of the drain chamber over a sock holder tray (the top section in the image). This is about 4 inches higher than the water level in the sump. Water falls down from the tray height to the water level. This is causing splashing and excess noise.

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I can see how that would drive a person up the wall. You have a nice box there for sure!

I'm old school, used to build my own sumps back in the day. So you have a fancy sump and it is annoying so how about your protein skimmer? A fancy sump I'm sure has a fancy skimmer correct? I'm only asking because if you can fix it by changing the water level can't you just adjust your air and slow mixture going into your skimmer and problem solved?

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped the Klir roller in and it is quieter.

What is happening is that there is no rubber gasket on the flow diverting cap so water gets under it and then drips.

I raised the water level and this has helped.

I will run out and get a gasket and see if that helps as well.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back