Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I could get some advice, I'm looking to run ozone in my system and I have a maxspect jump mj-sk400 and was wondering if the plastic was ozone safe, I was also wondering if I'm better off running the ozone at certain times in the night and if I'll need an air pump if I've got a skimmer attached because I assume the skimmer will suck the air in anyway. Thank in advance for your feedback

Top Shelf Aquatics

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to your first question I would email the manufacturer.
As for you second there are too many variables like the size of your skimmer, generator and how much ozone you actually need. It also depends on what kind of skimmer you have and how it draws air.
I run an air pump with a large generator into a large skimmer that has a venturi to mix it into the water and draws air from the skimmer cup. Keep in mind the skimmer has to get air if the ozone system is off so it can also pull air from outside.

Unless you buy one of the expensive reactors and follow the directions you have to find your own way with ozone.
I go between running it a few hours a day starting at noon to running a small amount around the clock.

OP
OP
J

Jezzess77

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I'll see if I can get I contact with maxspect. My skimmer has a dual air intake and I was going to tee off from one so even when the orp controller turns it of both air channels will still get an even amount of air, which is also why I'd rather not run and air pump because I could imagine that that would force more air into one side and make the foam spiral around inside the skimmer as well as make the foam height change as the ozone turns on and off.

AquaCave Logo Banner

WVNed

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By teeing the ozone into an outside air line if the ozone is on and the skimmer is on the skimmer draws it in. If the skimmer is on but not the ozone it draws outside air. If the ozone is on but not the skimmer the ozone leaves the house through the outside air feed instead of venting into the house. By having an air pump the ozone generator will never be on without air going through it cooling it. That may or may not matter depending on the generator.

OP
OP
J

Jezzess77

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, this is why I was think of running it only at night because I know that the skimmer will be running uninterrupted and I sleep in a different room further away just in case. But I also don't want it to have no effect if it just runs at night. I suppose the only way I'll know for sure is when I receive the system and see the orp readings for myself

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
J

Jezzess77

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get better at ozone once you gas yourself a couple of times and get the headache. It will show you the things you forgot to think about.
Ahaha I can only imagine, I'm hoping to avoid this entirely but I suppose sometimes learning the hard way is the best way

WVNed

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think day or night matters much to ozone according to what I see on my ORP controller.
I like running mine when I am up so I can detect a problem sooner and fix it.
I have the generator and air pump on a smart outlet plugged into an ORP controller. That way I can easily control when it is off and on without touching anything.

OP
OP
J

Jezzess77

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think day or night matters much to ozone according to what I see on my ORP controller.
I like running mine when I am up so I can detect a problem sooner and fix it.
True, I just meant that I turn my skimmer of when feeding and knowing me I can only imagine its a matter of time before I to the skimmer on feed mode and forget to turn off the ozone and have it run through the house

CLICK TO VIEW

WVNed

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, I just meant that I turn my skimmer of when feeding and knowing me I can only imagine its a matter of time before I to the skimmer on feed mode and forget to turn off the ozone and have it run through the house
My skimmer has a sensor so if it is full my controller shuts it off. That can happen at any time.

OP
OP
J

Jezzess77

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer has a sensor so if it is full my controller shuts it off. That can happen at any time.
True I didn't even think of that but I've had the skimmer for 8 months now and the the cup has always been half full at most before I clean it, but still it is a risk. I might have to think of another way.

MontrealReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I'll see if I can get I contact with maxspect. My skimmer has a dual air intake and I was going to tee off from one so even when the orp controller turns it of both air channels will still get an even amount of air, which is also why I'd rather not run and air pump because I could imagine that that would force more air into one side and make the foam spiral around inside the skimmer as well as make the foam height change as the ozone turns on and off.
Did you end up getting in contact with Maxspect?

AquaCave Logo Banner
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion
Back