Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I'm looking to fine tune a Ricordea florida exhibit at work.
Some of them look fine, but others are shrinking and I cannot put my finger on why.

60 gallon custom made glass tank made by TankMeUSA. 24"x24"x25"
Kessil 360 W Tuna blue light about 8"over the top of the water. Light at about 30%. 7:30am - 4:30pm. I tried higher light intensity initially and the coral was not happy about that. I was running mostly blue to get that nice color pop out of them, but recently have added more white to see if there are any changes.
Bare bottom covered in coraline.
We actually have access to local nearshore ocean water in South Florida.
So do a 25% water change daily to keep water quality optimum.
Tank has been running 1 year, but got started with materials from other exhibits.
Total system is three tanks all identical cubes, sea grass and seahorses, urchins, and ricordea.
Total volume is about 200 gallons.
MRC bio sump 24.
Jeabeo DCQ pump. Its either 5000lph or 8000lph. I don't honestly remember which.
I would estimate 5 turn overs per hour.
54W UV sterilizer runs all the time. We had problems with crypt in the past.
Salinity - 32ppt
pH - 8.2
Alk - 180
PO4 - 0
Ca++ - 480
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
NH3 - 0
Temp - 77-78
Parameters are extremely stable, as again, we have easy access to incoming ocean water.
No fish, trying to highlight the corals as the main display. Few blue leg hermit crabs. One red leg hermit. And about 10 astrea snails. Crabs are offered small food bits a few times a week as well as one lettuce offering. I rarely see them on the rock and never near the corals, but they have all night with no one watching...

I purchased about 20 ricordea and glued them onto rocks covered in coraline algae. Short term looked good. All happy, but now they open but not as big as I have seen. A few look great. Fat and happy. Right next to ones that look fine are other that are slowly shrinking now the size of a pinky nail, started the size of a dime or a tiny bit bigger.

I don't see any parasites with lights out. Coming in early or staying late to check for critters.

Any thoughts on things to change?
Something I am missing?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you.

BRS

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right off the bat, Nitrates and Phosphates being 0 is a bit worrisome. What test kit are you using?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ definitely could be the cause.
It might be difficult to keep nutrients up in a softie system with no fish. All mouths and no butts. Might be able to show case the corals still by using some fish that are rock dwellers not swimmers just so there is some fish poop. Or using the sump or connected tank to house the fish.
Also would verify they sold you floridas and not yumas. Yumas do not do as well as floridas for some unknown reasons.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Keith_0011

Keith_0011

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API testkits.
Definitely ricordea florida. No doubt. Purchased directly from a collector in the keys.

Right off the bat, Nitrates and Phosphates being 0 is a bit worrisome. What test kit are you using?

Are you suggesting I need to elevate these levels?
0 phosphates and nitrates are what they have in the wild.
I can do less water changes. And watch and see

Top Shelf Aquatics

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would invest in another test kit other than API, try Salifert or Red Sea for Nitrate or a Hanna Checker in addition to the previous two brands for phosphate. The detection range on the API kits can be a bit misleading in terms of actually showing how much nitrate and phosphate is in the water.

AS

MikeyG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would invest in another test kit other than API, try Salifert or Red Sea for Nitrate or a Hanna Checker in addition to the previous two brands for phosphate. The detection range on the API kits can be a bit misleading in terms of actually showing how much nitrate and phosphate is in the water.
I could not agree with you mow....This has been my experience with API test kits, so I only use them to give me an idea what's going on.
For serious results I use Hanna, Salifert, and Red Sea.
Unfortunately, I am experiencing the same problems with my Florida Ricordea...they are shrinking fast, and ultimately disappearing.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AAF
Back