Questions about the ways of feeding corals.

RickvDam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a few questions about coral feeding:

1. I dose 2 mL of AB+ daily, which is slightly more than the recommended amount for my 15-gallon tank. I used the new Red Sea dosing calculator, and it suggests I can dose up to 4.5 mL daily. I have an LPS tank stocked with Euphyllia. Does anyone else dose more than the bottle recommends?

2. I'm considering using Reef Roids, but I prefer to automate my feeding with a doser. Reef Roids is typically used 1-2 times per week, and I refill my dosing container weekly because AB+ tends to spoil. Is it possible to add a week's worth of Reef Roids to the dosing container so that 1-2 doses are spread out over the week?

3. I've heard great things about EasyReefs EasySPS food. They also offer an LPS version, but only the SPS version is designed for a doser. Would the SPS version work for my LPS tank as well?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to add a week's worth of Reef Roids to the dosing container so that 1-2 doses are spread out over the week?
No, it will not be homogeneous, will just settle to the bottom and not get dosed. Also, you would spike your phosphate through the roof.

In general AB+ is more than enough IMO. Feeding is optional for most corals and there are folks with successful tanks that don’t feed them at all, other than the existing bacteria and fish waste they get anyways. Especially in a tank so small, you are asking for serious water nutrient issues using freeze dried coral foods like reef roids. Your corals will do just fine without.

Having said that, there are LPS and soft corals that benefit greatly from target feeding, and broadcast feeding with coral foods can be beneficial in the right system, but there are cleaner ways to do it. I prefer live phyto for example.

OP
OP
R

RickvDam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it will not be homogeneous, will just settle to the bottom and not get dosed. Also, you would spike your phosphate through the roof.

In general AB+ is more than enough IMO. Feeding is optional for most corals and there are folks with successful tanks that don’t feed them at all, other than the existing bacteria and fish waste they get anyways. Especially in a tank so small, you are asking for serious water nutrient issues using freeze dried coral foods like reef roids. Your corals will do just fine without.

Having said that, there are LPS and soft corals that benefit greatly from target feeding, and broadcast feeding with coral foods can be beneficial in the right system, but there are cleaner ways to do it. I prefer live phyto for example.
Alright. I’m sure reef roids work, but from what I’ve heard and read there are too many downsides. I do spot feed mysis every 3 days and AB+ daily. I’m trying to get that little bit extra color and growth (it’s already going great but it can almost always go better). I’m trying to get 2 foods on a doser so I’m hoping to get some advice on easySPS food. My system is ULN and has been since the start. I only have 2 clowns and a lot of stuff in my rear chambers. I already dose phosphate and nitrate daily to prevent it from bottoming out.

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. I’m sure reef roids work, but from what I’ve heard and read there are too many downsides. I do spot feed mysis every 3 days and AB+ daily. I’m trying to get that little bit extra color and growth (it’s already going great but it can almost always go better). I’m trying to get 2 foods on a doser so I’m hoping to get some advice on easySPS food. My system is ULN and has been since the start. I only have 2 clowns and a lot of stuff in my rear chambers. I already dose phosphate and nitrate daily to prevent it from bottoming out.
i personally love reef roids but just use in moderation. I spot feed a small amount and turn off flow until all of it is gone in the coral, never had an issue with phos before

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back