+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers!

I have a 35.2 waterbox, mostly LPS, a few BTAs and assuming they ever settle down id like to put some more SPS in and turn it into a true mixed reef.

With that said, right now my Dkh is about 7.8, my calcium is always right around 400 or 420, and my mag is about 1350 with a Ph sitting at 8 all day and night . I do a 5gal water change every week and those numbers barely deviate throughout the week. I've been wanting to bring my Dkh a little higher but my main concern is elevating my Ph to 8.3 via a kalk reactor. Im already using a closed loop co2 scrubber which brought my Ph from 7.6 to 8.

My dilemma is my waterchanges are definitely enough to replenish those numbers, but I'd really like the added benefits of the elevated Ph.

Should I dose small amounts of Kalk from a reactor? If I start dosing it will it sky rocket my calcium and barely effect my Ph? Will a slightly elevated calcium level wreak havoc on my tank? Or should I forget about the Ph and setup for AWC... thank you for reading

Any suggestions are sincerely appreciated!

AquaCave Logo Banner

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind alk going up a bit, I'd dose a little and see what effects you get. :)

You won't notice the effect in calcium in the short term. ALk is the thing to monitor. :)

OP
OP
V

Vdlibrtr

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind alk going up a bit, I'd dose a little and see what effects you get. :)

You won't notice the effect in calcium in the short term. ALk is the thing to monitor. :)
Great! thanks so much!

The safest way to do that would be via the reactor right? I'm very bad at dosing and learning it slower than I'd like to admit, but I am learning!

Nutramar Foods

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! thanks so much!

The safest way to do that would be via the reactor right? I'm very bad at dosing and learning it slower than I'd like to admit, but I am learning!

Dosing from a settled reservoir is better, IMO, than messing with a reactor, assuming you have space for a reservoir.

Manual once a day dosing is limited to very small amounts.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aqua SD
Back