Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing some gorgeous macro algae tanks while browsing the internet, I have been thinking about starting a tank of my own. But before I do that, I have a few questions
1. How difficult is it to keep macro algae compared to say, soft corals
2. Is mechanical filtration needed?

Much appreciation to anyone who is able to help me out with this. Thanks!

Avast

KING KONG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing some gorgeous macro algae tanks while browsing the internet, I have been thinking about starting a tank of my own. But before I do that, I have a few questions
1. How difficult is it to keep macro algae compared to say, soft corals
2. Is mechanical filtration needed?

Much appreciation to anyone who is able to help me out with this. Thanks!
They are quite easy to care as compared to corals and fishes because they can handle temp and water condition better. They increase the quality of life of fishes. They add oxygen to your tanks.
Macroalgae care
macro algae is simple to care for and is a way to add diversity to your tank.

Macro algae filters nutrients from your tank, competes with useless algae and keeps overall water quality good.
Many species are suitable places for beneficial inverts like copepods and amphipods.
. For example, many species of seahorses depend on macro algae and sea grasses for their survival.
Most macro algae can survive in a tank with lower lighting as compared to corals.
Macro algae adds dissolved oxygen to your marine tank.
Many "macros" are tough, and can handle temperature and environmental changes better than coral, making it ideal for the beginners.

Things to Watch Out For:

The biggest concern the aquarist should have regarding macro algae they can go sexual. When macro algae goes sexual, it releases spores into the water to reproduce somewhere else. This can be brought on by a change in conditions, or through maturity at the end of the particular specimen's life cycle. Often it is a combination of both. After releasing spores many species break and die. Macroalgae can also die from other causes such as incorrect lighting, insufficient air exchange, lack of nutrients or improper flow. When macroalgae dies the problem is twofold; one extra nutrients from the plant are released into the water which may raise nitrate and phosphorous levels, it will also respire more than normal.

The nutrients problem is a small one, and if the dead plant matter can be removed, the remaining macros will absorb the extra nutrients and the balance will be restored. On the other hand the respiration is potentially more serious.

Macros give off oxygen during the day, and will release some carbon dioxide at night. This is natural, and not cause for much concern. If the lighting in your tank fails for extended periods of time, or the plants go sexual for some other reason it will respire more than normal and release more carbon dioxide than it would usually release. This can become problematic, as water that is super saturated with carbon dioxide is likely to have pH fluctuations and oxygen depletion. If the fluctuation or depletion is severe, it can cause deaths in the tank.
Still if you can handle it with care it is a very good option as it is very inexpensive as I have done it for 2 yrs

All the best

Source-https://www.reefcleaners.org/macroalgae-care

Last edited:
World Wide Corals
OP
OP
C

c0b_

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are quite easy to care as compared to corals and fishes because they can handle temp and water condition better. They increase the quality of life of fishes. They add oxygen to your tanks.
Macroalgae care
macro algae is simple to care for and is a way to add diversity to your tank.

Macro algae filters nutrients from your tank, competes with useless algae and keeps overall water quality good.
Many species are suitable places for beneficial inverts like copepods and amphipods.
. For example, many species of seahorses depend on macro algae and sea grasses for their survival.
Most macro algae can survive in a tank with lower lighting as compared to corals.
Macro algae adds dissolved oxygen to your marine tank.
Many "macros" are tough, and can handle temperature and environmental changes better than coral, making it ideal for the beginners.

Things to Watch Out For:

The biggest concern the aquarist should have regarding macro algae they can go sexual. When macro algae goes sexual, it releases spores into the water to reproduce somewhere else. This can be brought on by a change in conditions, or through maturity at the end of the particular specimen's life cycle. Often it is a combination of both. After releasing spores many species break and die. Macroalgae can also die from other causes such as incorrect lighting, insufficient air exchange, lack of nutrients or improper flow. When macroalgae dies the problem is twofold; one extra nutrients from the plant are released into the water which may raise nitrate and phosphorous levels, it will also respire more than normal.

The nutrients problem is a small one, and if the dead plant matter can be removed, the remaining macros will absorb the extra nutrients and the balance will be restored. On the other hand the respiration is potentially more serious.

Macros give off oxygen during the day, and will release some carbon dioxide at night. This is natural, and not cause for much concern. If the lighting in your tank fails for extended periods of time, or the plants go sexual for some other reason it will respire more than normal and release more carbon dioxide than it would usually release. This can become problematic, as water that is super saturated with carbon dioxide is likely to have pH fluctuations and oxygen depletion. If the fluctuation or depletion is severe, it can cause deaths in the tank.
Still if you can handle it with care it is a very good option as it is very inexpensive as I have done it for 2 yrs

All the best

Source-https://www.reefcleaners.org/macroalgae-care
Thank you so much for such a detailed response. I have heard that certain macroalgaes are not compatible with each other, is this true?

AquaCave Logo Banner

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Most are not difficult but like corals the needs vary depending on the species…dosing is recommended and extra care with testing should be taken to make sure you don’t bottom out your nutrients.
2. And no mechanical filtration is never required but I would recommend it at first especially since it creates extra flow…at least until the tank is loaded with macroalgae or they grow significantly as it will help keep the water clean.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One possible complication is that controlling pest algae in the display cannot be attained with organisms that will eat whatever macroalgae you have, potentially ruling out certain fish that often serve this purpose in a reef tank.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Copepods
Back