question regarding flukes and internal parasites

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i suspect that one of my eels which is about 8 months old might have internal parasites, and another one of my big tessalata might have flukes.

the reason why i come to suspect this is because out of the 6 eels i have, i have not quarantined these 2 eels with praziquantel.

my tessalata has been having head twitchings and spasms near its esophagus which i believe might be caused my flukes and hence wanted to quarantine him but besides him theres no other fish in the 210gallons so is it possible to run it fallow for atleast 2 weeks by just adding food in the tank as a form of nitrates to feed the bacteria?

my other eel has no signs of flukes but has been going on a hunger strike more frequently which i suspect might be internal parasites, he lives with my zebra whom i have already treated with praziquantel a few months ago and till now the zebra moray hasnt gone into a hungerstrike but only the other eel which i had not treated with praziquantel when it first arrived and the other question is, do internal worms or internal parasites get transferred to other fish? because incase the eel living with my zebra moray has it then i that means i should also treat the zebra with praziquantel again

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
besides him theres no other fish in the 210gallons so is it possible to run it fallow for atleast 2 weeks by just adding food in the tank as a form of nitrates to feed the bacteria?
The rest of this seems like a good question for @Jay Hemdal but I can answer this - you can absolutely run the tank fallow and just add some food to keep it cycled. (In fact, adding the food may not even be needed, but I would probably add the food just as a precaution).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i suspect that one of my eels which is about 8 months old might have internal parasites, and another one of my big tessalata might have flukes.

the reason why i come to suspect this is because out of the 6 eels i have, i have not quarantined these 2 eels with praziquantel.

my tessalata has been having head twitchings and spasms near its esophagus which i believe might be caused my flukes and hence wanted to quarantine him but besides him theres no other fish in the 210gallons so is it possible to run it fallow for atleast 2 weeks by just adding food in the tank as a form of nitrates to feed the bacteria?

my other eel has no signs of flukes but has been going on a hunger strike more frequently which i suspect might be internal parasites, he lives with my zebra whom i have already treated with praziquantel a few months ago and till now the zebra moray hasnt gone into a hungerstrike but only the other eel which i had not treated with praziquantel when it first arrived and the other question is, do internal worms or internal parasites get transferred to other fish? because incase the eel living with my zebra moray has it then i that means i should also treat the zebra with praziquantel again

Praziquantel is only effective against flukes and internal cestodes (tapeworms). I've had issues with eels having internal nematode infections, and that requires a different medication - fenbendazole or levamisole orally.

OP
OP
HAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praziquantel is only effective against flukes and internal cestodes (tapeworms). I've had issues with eels having internal nematode infections, and that requires a different medication - fenbendazole or levamisole orally.
Thank you for the insight! Can you please tell me the powder dosages for fenbendazole and levamisole?

And can you mix fenbendazole or levamisole with praziquantel?

I was able to find levamisole powder from discus x, would this work?

I thought of mixing levamisole with multivitamins injected into a dead fish and then fed to the eel, so is seachem focus still needed?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fenbendazole can be dosed in the water at 2ppm weekly for 3 weeks, but an oral dose is best: 50 mg per kg of fish weight once a week for two weeks. Fenbendazole has been shown to be toxic to some fish though - and that list is not complete.

Levamisole can also be dosed in the water at 10 ppm for one dose. Orally, it is dosed at 5 mg per pound of fish body weight daily for seven days.

Focus is only used as a binder.

I've never mixed fenbendazole or levamisole with praziquantel, I'd be worried about toxicity, especially with Fenbendazole.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back