+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Trying to replace the bulkhead. I got a Lee Mar 60G cube used. Previous owner installed the center bulkhead incorrectly (not sure why as the other two bulkheads were installed correctly.) The nut and gasket were INSIDE the return, leaving minimum space for me to put in a wrench. I can't tell what's the size of the bulkhead, I guessed it's 1" bulkhead. The 2 holes left and right to it fit the 3/4 bulkhead. I used the 1" BRS bulkhead nut tool to remove it but it's too big. The 3/4" BRS bulkhead nut tool was too small. Any ideas on how to fix this? Much appreciated.

bulkhead_1642.JPG bulkhead_1643.JPG bulkhead_1782.JPG

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jason_MrFrags

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Use a dremel and cut through the nut.
Get an inside pvc cutter and trim that pipe down, looks like it is preventing the nut wrench from sitting down far enough. Could also probably be used to cut through the nut.

PapaFishRocks

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an inside pvc cutter and trim that pipe down, looks like it is preventing the nut wrench from sitting down far enough. Could also probably be used to cut through the nut.
Jason has a solid answer. I have had to utilize this method many times and it works. Dremel to the rescue!!!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
lovemysps00

lovemysps00

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the removal tool sitting all the way down on the nut portion or is the pipe stub that’s left keeping it from reaching it?
The removal tool is sitting all the way down on the nut portion. There's only 3-3.5 inches of space from the bulkhead nut towards the edge.

OP
OP
lovemysps00

lovemysps00

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great call, will use this method if there are no other options.

Nutramar Foods

scott_the_reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The removal tool is sitting all the way down on the nut portion. There's only 3-3.5 inches of space from the bulkhead nut towards the edge.
You could try getting a piece of pvc pipe that’s close to the size of the nut and heat it up. While it’s soft, if you force it over the nut and let it cool that would make a custom socket for it and allow you to twist it off.

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always install bulkheads through the bottom of the tank ’backwards’. They seal just as well if you put the gasket with the flange and there’s no stem protruding through the bottom to get in the way or get broken. These days I use the reef octopus Sch80 bulkheads which have o rings seated into both the flange and nut. Idiot proof

Top Shelf Aquatics

keizo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you were able to take it out! I had a similar issue once and found myself out of luck when I tried the wrench that you used in addition to other methods like the oil strap wrench (the positioning was difficult).

For me, the heating method somebody suggested above worked wonders. I used a steel rod to a heat gun until the rod was hot enough to radiate heat around it. I used the rod to then poke around the edges of the bulkhead until it softened up and was able to use some pliers to bend them out of their position (had both the rod and the heat gun from a quick trip to Home Depot, I think it cost me ~$50).

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back