Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not getting enough PH or coral growth with soda ash, so I put a co2 scrubber on and it is working, but then found Randys recipe for using sodium hydroxide for alk and ph saying there is more of a ph boost, so this may turn out to be more cost effective, will the sodium hydroxide still give me more ph boost if I have co2 in my tank

CLICK TO VIEW

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All tanks have CO2, and consuming CO2 is how all high pH alk additives raise pH. Hydroxide consumes twice as much Co2 as carbonate per unit of alk added.

cdklos

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not getting enough PH or coral growth with soda ash, so I put a co2 scrubber on and it is working, but then found Randys recipe for using sodium hydroxide for alk and ph saying there is more of a ph boost, so this may turn out to be more cost effective, will the sodium hydroxide still give me more ph boost if I have co2 in my tank
I have been using sodium hydroxide for a while now. I have a special setup, but the idea is the same. I have a whole home RO system that feeds my entire house, including my fresh water top off and my salt water mixing station. Using a peristaltic pump wired to my RO, any time my RO runs the pump runs and injects sodium hydroxide to my water. The pH of my water runs about 9.5, so every time I mix new salt water or my ATO comes on, it's pumping high pH water into my system. The CO2 level in my tank room is about 550 on average, and my tank pH maintains about 8.5. I purchased the 5 gallon jug of sodium hydroxide from a local water treatment company for $250.00. Feeding my whole house and tank, should still last me about a year or more.

Attachments

• IMG_1384.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_1384.JPG.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1387.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_1387.JPG.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1386.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_1386.JPG.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1385.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_1385.JPG.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 13
AquaCave Logo Banner

reef_ranch

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using sodium hydroxide for a while now. I have a special setup, but the idea is the same. I have a whole home RO system that feeds my entire house, including my fresh water top off and my salt water mixing station. Using a peristaltic pump wired to my RO, any time my RO runs the pump runs and injects sodium hydroxide to my water. The pH of my water runs about 9.5, so every time I mix new salt water or my ATO comes on, it's pumping high pH water into my system. The CO2 level in my tank room is about 550 on average, and my tank pH maintains about 8.5. I purchased the 5 gallon jug of sodium hydroxide from a local water treatment company for $250.00. Feeding my whole house and tank, should still last me about a year or more.
This I need to learn more about. What is the alk of your RO water after injecting the sodium hydroxide? What are your alk and calcium level in the tank and how do you maintain them?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This I need to learn more about. What is the alk of your RO water after injecting the sodium hydroxide? What are your alk and calcium level in the tank and how do you maintain them?

FWIW, the alk of my DIY two part recipe using sodium hydroxide is exactly the same as the alk of the sodium carbonate/soda ash recipe: 5300 dKH. I don't recommend adding sodium hydroxide except as needed for alkalinity.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back